ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Turk seeking Serbian Nationality

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

samsadeniz
Newly Registered

Turk seeking Serbian Nationality

Post by samsadeniz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:07 pm

ethnic Turk Mother born in kosovo(Yugoslavia) in 1960. immigrated to Turkey in 1977 leaving everything behind and never went back. married a Turkish guy. can the son of the mother(mother does not know if she is still a citizen and does not wish to apply for a citizenship herself) become a serbian citizen??? (not interested in kosovo citizenship) son speaks fluent serbian but never been to serbia. if refused can the son apply to ECHR???

Mother has her birth certificate and the necessary documents. (her mother died in 1970 and buried in kosovo)

Thanks...
Last edited by samsadeniz on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samsadeniz
Newly Registered

Re: Turk seeking Serbian Nationality

Post by samsadeniz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:27 pm

Thanks..

AxeZ

Post by AxeZ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:16 pm

I would look into serbian nationaliyi law which you can find here

http://www.parlament.sr.gov.yu/content/ ... Id=189&t=Z#

Basically, because it is written only in cirilyc I could roughly translate for you
I would look at paragraph 7: Gaining citizenship by origin???

Citizenship of republic of serbia can be acquireb by child who

1. Both of his parents are citizens of republic of serbia at the moment of his birth.

2. One of the parents is citizen of serbia and the child is born on the territory of the republic of serbia

3. was born on the territory of the serbia and one parent is citizen of serbia and other parent is foreign national

4. was born on the territory of foreign state and one of the parent is citizen of serbia and other parent is foreign national

5. was born on the territory of foreign state and one of the parent is citizen of serbia and other parent is foreign national or unknown citizenship or without citizenship

Basically, if one of your parents was citizen of republic of serbia when you was born it seems you have the right to acquire serbian citizenship.

The problem is that serbia is independent state for only few years and was part of bigger country SFR Yugoslavia

Although I wouldn't know what do you need it for...it's almost next to useless to be citizen of serbia

P.S. Pitaj i na nekim domacim forumima posto ne znam tacno kakve imas sanse..:)

P.P.S For latin version just choose Doc instead of PDF

samsadeniz
Newly Registered

Post by samsadeniz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:47 pm

Thank you so much... the problem is that my mothers country does not exist any more. I dont think yugoslavia took away my mothers citizenship when she left. even north korea doesn't do that to deserters. I think if my mother had stayed in kosovo she would have been a citizen of serbia right now. I think I will need to contact the serbian consulate
or a serbian immigration lawyer.
in the long term chances of serbia joining the eu are million times greater than turkey joining. I don't see any harm in having another nationality.

AxeZ

Post by AxeZ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:48 am

Yeah, it's best to contact consulate although my experience tell me only the worst scum works there
Maybe a lawyer..it would cost you but you could probably get more precise answer.

Not sure about million times....I really doubt the common sence exist in serbia anymore although you are right about having dual nationalities...it's only a plus. I have both EU and serbian citizenship and without my EU passport I would be locked down in some isolated part of Europe and become third class of the european citizen, just as pariah.