ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ANGELA LIMA

British Citizenship

Post by ANGELA LIMA » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:55 pm

I came to UK in 2015 and I am from Portugal.I worked in the UK all this period and I never bothered to apply for a settled status at the time. I left UK after 6 years to look after my sick parents . I want to return now in 2024.

I would like to know how can I have my rights regulated :

1) Can I be a British Citizen at this point as I lived her for so long?

2)If not, which category can I apply for?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:02 pm

ANGELA LIMA wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:55 pm
I came to UK in 2015 and I am from Portugal.I worked in the UK all this period and I never bothered to apply for a settled status at the time. I left UK after 6 years to look after my sick parents . I want to return now in 2024.

I would like to know how can I have my rights regulated :

1) Can I be a British Citizen at this point as I lived her for so long?
No, citizenship requires that you hold permanent residency, either EU Settled Status or ILR under UK immigration rules.

2)If not, which category can I apply for?
On the face of it it would be a UK work visa, you would start from zero. Unless somebody can suggest how you could gain EUSS having missed all deadlines and probably unable to apply as a late applicant.

Thanks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Re: British Citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:51 pm

Did you apply for and get any form of documentation about your residence in the UK, either a Residence Certificate or a Document certifying Permanent Residence, before 2020? They would have been a blue coloured tri-fold card.

You could try applying for Settled Status when you are back in the UK (it is a free application), but it is highly likely to fail given that you have been absent from the UK for three years (Permanent Residence under the pre-Brexit EEA Regulations/EU Directive would have lapsed automatically after any single absence for more than two years).

If you do get Settled Status, which, as alterhase58 mentioned above is a requirement to apply for British citizenship, you won't qualify to apply to naturalise as a British citizen for a few years.

To start with, you need to have held ILR/Settled Status for at least one year before the date of naturalisation application.

To add to that, there are absences and physical presence conditions counting back from the date of naturalisation application have to be met.

For instance, if I applied for naturalisation today, I would have to prove that
(a) I had ILR/Settled Status before 08/04/2023,
(b) I was physically present in the UK on 09/04/2019 (five years before today)
(c) I was not absent from the UK for more than 450 days outside the UK between the date in (b) and today.

Having lived in the UK for any five years in the past is not enough. It needs to be the five years immediately before the date of naturalisation application.

So, to summarise
(a) You can apply for Settled Status, but you are highly likely to be refused.
(b) If you do get Settled Status, it will be a few (at least three+) years before you become eligible to apply to naturalise as a British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.