ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying discretion in absence: met or didn't meet requirements?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Applying discretion in absence: met or didn't meet requirements?

Post by nopal » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:57 pm

hi everyone,
reading the guidance on Nationality policy: Naturalisation as a British citizen by discretion / version 14.0 I have a question on the below wording for example on page 18, absence in the last year:
..of more than 100 days but not more than 180 days where the residence requirements over the full qualifying period are not met - consider exercising discretion if both the following apply:
a) applicants have demonstrated that they have made this country their home by establishing a home, employment family, property and finances in the UK
b) the absence is justified by Crown service or by compelling occupational or compassionate reasons, including inability to travel because of a global pandemic
in this case for example, if I'm relying on a discretion to meet the requirement for the period of the previous 5 years (or 3 years, I'm still unsure which route to take), in case the discretion was applied for the 5 or 3 year period, does that make me compliant with the "the residence requirements over the full qualifying period" or not? ie: if they applied discretion on the 5 or 3 year period, do I fall under the quoted paragraph for the 1 year period? or the previous one where it's between 100 and 180 days where the residence over the full qualifying period are indeed met (regardless of the discretion)?

For context:
I'm married to a British national.
I had my ILR July 2022.
However I had to leave the UK for 447 days in a row (but 578 days in total in the 5 years) as I went back home to stay with my ill mother while I applied (and appealed, after rejection, her ADR visa!) I was the only available care taker. The ADR was granted after an appeal (almost 9 months after initial submission) but mum was in ICU by then and passed away shortly after. which is the reason why I was out of the UK for this long. ( check out ADR journey summary post here if interested ).

Therefore, I have surpassed the 270 days and 480 days allowance (for 6.2 / 6.1 routes, 3 years / 5 years routes) and will have to rely on discretion to be applied.

For the absence over the 5 years, I'm relying on this discretion:
Where the applicant has absences of between 480 and 900 days for applications under section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981, or 300 and 540 days for applications under section 6(2) and otherwise meets the requirements you must only consider exercising discretion where the applicant has established their home, employment, family and finances in the UK, and one or more of the following applies:
• at least 2 years residence (for applications under section 6(1)), or 1 year (for applications under section 6(2)), without substantial absences immediately prior to the beginning of the qualifying period - if the period of absence is greater than 730 days (for section 6(1)) or 450 days (for section 6(2)) the period of residence must be at least 3 or 2 years respectively
so I should be OK there, but if the discretion is exercised, when it comes to the past year absence, where I'm planning to wait till I'm under 180 days in the past year, back to the main question, given that the 5 year period is OK with discretion, does that make compliant with the residency rule or not?

last but not least, the first paragraph under Absence during qualifying period says:
Absences during the qualifying period
Where an applicant has spent more than the 450 days for section 6(1) applications, or 270 days for section 6(2) applications, outside of the UK during the qualifying period you must consider exercising discretion if they meet the other requirements.
well.. as you now know, I'm hoping for double whammy discretion here, but thus says you must consider if they meet the other requirements... does that include the 1 year WITHOUT discretion?

hope this is clear!
thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Applying discretion in absence: met or didn't meet requirements?

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:10 am

If you want discretion on one requirement you need to meet all other criteria, no "double whammy" allowed. If you wait until your absences in the last year have gone under 90 days you will be able to apply then.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:46 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:10 am
If you want discretion on one requirement you need to meet all other criteria, no "double whammy" allowed. If you wait until your absences in the last year have gone under 90 days you will be able to apply then.
:cry: thank you. I was afraid of that "last but not least".. I had a feeling! are you 100% positive? :(
I have another question, we might be selling our house and my wife and I might separate in few months. would changing residence/selling a mortgaged house affect proof of "intent to stay in the UK"?
thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:26 am

It does specify that if you intend to ask for discretion on one requirement you need to meet all other requirements, including the absences ones. They set the statutory requirements, and absences are definitely a factor they keep into account to determine if someone meets their bar. Strongly advise against applying before you meet at least one of the absences requirements. Selling/remortgaging is unlikely to have an impact on a citizenship application.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:32 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:26 am
It does specify that if you intend to ask for discretion on one requirement you need to meet all other requirements, including the absences ones. They set the statutory requirements, and absences are definitely a factor they keep into account to determine if someone meets their bar. Strongly advise against applying before you meet at least one of the absences requirements. Selling/remortgaging is unlikely to have an impact on a citizenship application.
thank you. makes sense the way you put it.
guess I'll have to wait till August then. appreciate that advice.
one last thing, any thoughts on effect if separated from spouse?
thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:39 pm

Can't imagine that would play a role, if you are applying in your own right. Be also sure that you were in the UK the day five years before you plan to apply (eg if applying on the 8 Aug 2024 you'd need to physically have been in the UK on the 9 Aug 2019).

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:21 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:39 pm
Can't imagine that would play a role, if you are applying in your own right. Be also sure that you were in the UK the day five years before you plan to apply (eg if applying on the 8 Aug 2024 you'd need to physically have been in the UK on the 9 Aug 2019).
Thank you. Yes luckily it was Covid times so limited travel. Ok on that front. Thanks again

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:39 pm
hi, one more question please, when they say:
if absent between 480 and 900 days and otherwise meets the requirements you must only consider exercising discretion where the applicant has established their home, employment, family and finances in the UK
how do I go about proving I've established UK as home if we'd sold the house and divorced by then?
Finances is easy, I can supply all my P60s and salary slips I suppose, a bank statement too maybe?
employment is also easy, a letter from HR.
but the home and family, I still will be looking after my step son anyway, would like a letter from my ex saying that I'm still involved in my step son's life with sleeping arrangements etc suffice? and if the fact that I'm still living in the UK (even if rent) does that tick the "home" bit?
can you shed any light on this?
thanks.

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

is there a list of suggested evidence to provide for all of these? do I need to get letters from friends and colleagues for example as way of showing that I have made the UK my home? the group of friends with whom I play football for example? these kind of things? thanks

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

one more question please, thought it was obvious but now not sure anymore. I had obtained my ILR as a spouse of a Biritsh citizen, am I okay to apply under 6.1 though? I'd rather the 5 year route because of all the absents. also because we might divorce by then anyway. but if we were still married, I can still apply under the 5 year route right? or I MUST apply under 6.2? please advise. thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

you can apply under 6(1).

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:35 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm
you can apply under 6(1).
thank you.
how do I go about proving I've established UK as home if we'd sold the house and divorced by then?
Finances is easy, I can supply all my P60s and salary slips I suppose, a bank statement too maybe?
employment is also easy, a letter from HR.
but the home and family, I still will be looking after my step son anyway, would like a letter from my ex saying that I'm still involved in my step son's life with sleeping arrangements etc suffice? and if the fact that I'm still living in the UK (even if rent) does that tick the "home" bit?
can you shed any light on this?

thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:55 am

Owning a house is not a requirement, I would supply my tenancy agreement.

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:54 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:55 am
Owning a house is not a requirement, I would supply my tenancy agreement.
thanks Conttorted_svy

nopal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nopal » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:46 pm

hi, I'm preparing my application in advance on the website, completing all the bits I can complete by now. not at any point was I asked if I want to apply on the 3 year route as a spouse of a British citizen, or on the 5 year route (on my own). and I was asked for my marriage certificate and spouse's passport..
is there a different application all together? or do I state that I'd like to be considered on the 5 year route in my cover letter?
please advise.
thank you.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:08 pm

nopal wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:46 pm
is there a different application all together?
No.
nopal wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:46 pm
or do I state that I'd like to be considered on the 5 year route in my cover letter?
Yes.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.