ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Reckonable residency for Citizenship which started during Covid processing delays

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Bekar
Newly Registered
Ecuador

Reckonable residency for Citizenship which started during Covid processing delays

Post by Bekar » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:36 pm

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding a Covid impact on my citizenship application.

I arrived in Ireland in August 2020 on a Visa type D (CSEP). Due to Covid, my registration with the immigration has only been processed in March 2021, and that's when I received my Stamp 1 IRP. I plan to apply for citizenship as soon as I'm eligible, so my question is - did my reckonable residency start in August 2020, or only in March 2021?

I immigrated as a result of getting a job offer from a large multinational. I started working for them immediately in August 2020, in Ireland - didn't have to wait until I got the IRP. I have an EDS (Employment Detail Summary) from Revenue for 2020 to prove that fact.

The Citizens Information page mentions
Time spent in Ireland on an employment permit (usually with a Stamp 1 Irish Residence Permit)
which gives me hope, as I think I did hold an employment permit (I was allowed to work in the multinational, after all) and it even mentions the phrase "usually", which would imply that even periods without an IRP would count. But... at the same time the Residency Calculator doesn't allow you to select anything other than a stamp number, and I've seen people advise on this forum that I should only start counting days from the date of my registration.

On the other hand this PDF mentions
The one and two month periods of automatic renewal of permission at this time will count as
reckonable residence for citizenship purposes only in circumstances where the person in
question already held a nature of permission that counted as reckonable residence.
which sounds a bit like I might be out of luck if they are adamant on only stamps representing the reckonable residence?

I know it's a bit early and people in position similar to mine (got their first permission during Covid) are not eligible for Citizenship by Residence yet, however I'm hoping someone would have some insights or be able to clarify.

Thanks! :)

Leo99
Ireland

Re: Reckonable residency for Citizenship which started during Covid processing delays

Post by Leo99 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:38 pm

afaik they look at stamps

lovebino
Ireland

Re: Reckonable residency for Citizenship which started during Covid processing delays

Post by lovebino » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:33 am

I think you should be ok because this was pandemic and that your immigration office was closed during this time.

Following was how I did mine application when I could not renew my registration (abit different with your case) previously

However, I would include a short letter (and attach it just infront of my renockable resident calculation paper sheet -so the officer who check your application will immmediately know why) to explain why I could not get my registration and I would find the annoucement from the Department indicating about new registration at that time, etc to give a bit details infor in the letter.

Bekar wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:36 pm
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding a Covid impact on my citizenship application.

I arrived in Ireland in August 2020 on a Visa type D (CSEP). Due to Covid, my registration with the immigration has only been processed in March 2021, and that's when I received my Stamp 1 IRP. I plan to apply for citizenship as soon as I'm eligible, so my question is - did my reckonable residency start in August 2020, or only in March 2021?

I immigrated as a result of getting a job offer from a large multinational. I started working for them immediately in August 2020, in Ireland - didn't have to wait until I got the IRP. I have an EDS (Employment Detail Summary) from Revenue for 2020 to prove that fact.

The Citizens Information page mentions
Time spent in Ireland on an employment permit (usually with a Stamp 1 Irish Residence Permit)
which gives me hope, as I think I did hold an employment permit (I was allowed to work in the multinational, after all) and it even mentions the phrase "usually", which would imply that even periods without an IRP would count. But... at the same time the Residency Calculator doesn't allow you to select anything other than a stamp number, and I've seen people advise on this forum that I should only start counting days from the date of my registration.

On the other hand this PDF mentions
The one and two month periods of automatic renewal of permission at this time will count as
reckonable residence for citizenship purposes only in circumstances where the person in
question already held a nature of permission that counted as reckonable residence.
which sounds a bit like I might be out of luck if they are adamant on only stamps representing the reckonable residence?

I know it's a bit early and people in position similar to mine (got their first permission during Covid) are not eligible for Citizenship by Residence yet, however I'm hoping someone would have some insights or be able to clarify.

Thanks! :)