ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation & expired foreign passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

natashar
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation & expired foreign passport

Post by natashar » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:26 pm

Hi

I am seeking guidance/clarity on this as I keep getting conflicting answers and no clear guidance that I could find on the gov website.

I have ILR. I do not want to renew my foreign passport unless absolutely necessary as I've never been back/not going back/it takes stupidly long and is expensive plus travel into London to do it.

Can I naturalise with my foreign passport expired?
Can I apply for my BP afterwards, with my foreign passport expired?

Some older posts I read seem to indicate yes but requires another form of ID which I don't have. I don't drive. I only have my foreign passport and ILR card which expires end of this year with it all going digital.

Thank you in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation & expired foreign passport

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:59 pm

natashar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:26 pm
Hi

I am seeking guidance/clarity on this as I keep getting conflicting answers and no clear guidance that I could find on the gov website.

I have ILR. I do not want to renew my foreign passport unless absolutely necessary as I've never been back/not going back/it takes stupidly long and is expensive plus travel into London to do it.

Can I naturalise with my foreign passport expired? Yes - note that proving residency normally a valid passport is sufficient for ILR holders. However, for the period from passport expiry to application date you need to provide documents for residency, such P60 or council tax bills.
Can I apply for my BP afterwards, with my foreign passport expired? Yes

Some older posts I read seem to indicate yes but requires another form of ID which I don't have. I don't drive. I only have my foreign passport and ILR card which expires end of this year with it all going digital.

Thank you in advance.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:23 pm

natashar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:26 pm
Hi

Can I naturalise with my foreign passport expired?
Can I apply for my BP afterwards, with my foreign passport expired?

Thank you in advance.
Are you South African? Your name in your email address indicates you might be.

Note SA passport renewals dont take as long since they are now done through VFS.

Also note that unless you have applied to retain SA citizenship and been granted permission, you automatically lose SA citizenship when you become british and will be unable to renew your SA passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:31 pm

Also note that anybody can apply online for a provisional UK driving licence which is an accepted ID form. It's cheap and no need to have a car or even know how to drive for this.