ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR absence and citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Taleem99
United Arab Emirates

ILR absence and citizenship

Post by Taleem99 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:40 am

Hi Zimba,

I was issued ILR almost six months back. However, due to some requirements, I need to travel outside the UK for some medical treatment. The stay can be longer from six months to 12 months.

I read on the internet that ILR will lapse automatically if someone has continued / nonstop 2 years absence from the UK. Is this true?

Due to my genuine reason and medical condition, If I break the 2 years absence like travelling to the UK once or twice in every 2 years would allow me to save my ILR status?

Also if there is any exemption to apply for citizenship ( one year after ILR) with supporting medical evidence if the home office accepts such absence based medical related evidence, else will keep/ maintain the ILR status until my return to UK

I Appreciate your kind comments on my above queries please.

Thanks

Taleem99
United Arab Emirates

Re: ILR absence and citizenship

Post by Taleem99 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:42 am

My previous topic was locked and therefore created the new one. I hope I am following the right procedure.
thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:45 am

ILR status will automatically lapse if you are absent from the UK for more than 24 months. You then have to apply for a returning resident visa and prove you have strong connections to the UK to return. There are no guarantees that your ILR will be reinstated
https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa

British citizenship is a separate process under nationality law and its grant is fully discretionary. It also has much stricter requirements for absences as you cannot have more than 90 days of absence in the final 12 months before applying, at all.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 am

The Citizenship absence period is very strictly enforced. If you are out of the country for elective reasons, such as seeking medical treatment then it is highly unlikely that would be a considered compelling and exceptional reason to wave the absence period.

If for example you were involved in an accident overseas and were hospitalised for 6 months that would be different.