ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Investigation by Garda: what is the definition?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

human_ie
Newly Registered
Ireland

Investigation by Garda: what is the definition?

Post by human_ie » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Hi all, I stumbled upon this question in the Naturalization application form:

Are you, or have you been, the subject of an investigation in Ireland by AN GARDA SÍOCHÁNA (Irish Police), including where you were not charged with any offence?

There was a minor road accident (slight bump on a traffic light) where Gardai happened to be nearby. All they did was check my and the other person's driving licenses / tax & insurance discs and asked us both to present insurance certificates to the closest Garda station, which I did.

Since then, the matter has been closed, with no claims, investigations, or anything. However, the matter is definitely in their system.

I'm wondering: does this constitute "an investigation in Ireland by AN GARDA SÍOCHÁNA"? Or should I simply say "no" here?

Thanks!

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Investigation by Garda: what is the definition?

Post by Angel99 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:14 pm

human_ie wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:59 pm
Hi all, I stumbled upon this question in the Naturalization application form:

Are you, or have you been, the subject of an investigation in Ireland by AN GARDA SÍOCHÁNA (Irish Police), including where you were not charged with any offence?

There was a minor road accident (slight bump on a traffic light) where Gardai happened to be nearby. All they did was check my and the other person's driving licenses / tax & insurance discs and asked us both to present insurance certificates to the closest Garda station, which I did.

Since then, the matter has been closed, with no claims, investigations, or anything. However, the matter is definitely in their system.

I'm wondering: does this constitute "an investigation in Ireland by AN GARDA SÍOCHÁNA"? Or should I simply say "no" here?

Thanks!
No, this type of accidents are not recorded into the system and also not subject to investigation ( Even car collisions are not). This is considered a minor accident unless someone was injured or serious road damage.

The Garda just come to the scene (optional) to take their reports incase of any disputes or consultation later. Their reports ends after they leave the scene. The matter is left for the insurance and both drivers to deal with.

If Garda is investigating you they will send you a letter or visit you.

human_ie
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Investigation by Garda: what is the definition?

Post by human_ie » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:42 pm

Makes sense, thank you!