ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for new BRP while also applying for British Citizenship?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Application for new BRP while also applying for British Citizenship?

Post by Nickstar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:45 pm

Hello, I recently booked a holiday for the end of August this year, however did not realise my BRP was expired, i decided that instead of renewing my BRP i would go for British Citizenship, however, there has been many delays and i fear that the application will not go through by the time i need to travel. Therefore i'm thinking of renewing my BRP while in the background my citizenship application is being processed. I have several questions:
1) would my application for BRP be rejected since i've already applied for citizenship?
2) How long the application for BRP would take
3) IF i receive a new valid BRP would that mess up my old citizenship application? do i need to inform the home office of my new BRP details?
4) would leaving the country for holiday before citizenship comes through, would that affect my citizenship application

Any help or advice is much appreciated, thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Application for new BRP while also applying for British Citizenship?

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:01 pm

Physical BRPs are being phased out - I don't know what the procedure is for proving your status online if you have a BRP already/if it has expired. Even if you did apply for renewal it wouldn't affect your citizenship application, and you can travel before receiving the outcome, no problem.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Post by Nickstar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:07 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:01 pm
Physical BRPs are being phased out - I don't know what the procedure is for proving your status online if you have a BRP already/if it has expired. Even if you did apply for renewal it wouldn't affect your citizenship application, and you can travel before receiving the outcome, no problem.
Hi, thanks so much for the help, i was just wondering would i need to inform the Home office that i received a new BRP and that the old BRP information i put down on my citizenship application is now out of date?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:21 pm

No you wouldn't. See this thread for what is happening with physical BRPS and the switch to eVisas announces/evisas-and-online-only-immigr ... 44686.html
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:37 pm

Nickstar wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:40 pm
Hello, I recently booked a holiday for the end of August this year, however did not realise my BRP was expired, i decided that instead of renewing my BRP i would go for British Citizenship, however, there has been many delays and i fear that the application will not go through by the time i need to travel. Therefore i'm thinking of renewing my BRP while in the background my citizenship application is being processed. I have several questions:
1) would my application for BRP be rejected since i've already applied for citizenship? No
2) How long the application for BRP would take ??? it seems standard time frame is 6 months but can't comment on actual processing times.
3) IF i receive a new valid BRP would that mess up my old citizenship application? do i need to inform the home office of my new BRP details? No - your nat. application is based on the facts submitted when you applied.
4) would leaving the country for holiday before citizenship comes through, would that affect my citizenship application No - nat. is not an immigration application!

Any help or advice is much appreciated, thanks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Post by Nickstar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:03 pm

hello alterhase58, so sorry to bother again but I'm receiving some very conflicting information on whether i can apply for replacement BRP while my citizenship is being decided. on the one hand when i called UKVI, they stated that i cannot apply for BRP after my citizenship application as the two processes cannot be performed simultaneously, while on the other hand i have people on this forum telling me i can. I'm just wondering how you got the information that BRP and citizenship are seperate applications so i can have a look at it myself. Thank you so much

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:03 pm

Nickstar wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:03 pm
hello alterhase58, so sorry to bother again but I'm receiving some very conflicting information on whether i can apply for replacement BRP while my citizenship is being decided. on the one hand when i called UKVI, they stated that i cannot apply for BRP after my citizenship application as the two processes cannot be performed simultaneously, while on the other hand i have people on this forum telling me i can. I'm just wondering how you got the information that BRP and citizenship are seperate applications so i can have a look at it myself. Thank you so much
Not really sure what I can answer here - calling UKVI is generally useless, the call agents are not UKVI case workers, they are a third party call centre operation which tends to tell you what is publicly available.
As far as the naturalisation process is concerned it has nothing to do with the immigration processes, I believe immigration and nationality are different directorates of UKVI. The AN application doesn't provide you with any status (until it is decided), or interferes with the immigration status you currently have. And BRP replacement is not an immigration application, you apply for a new card, that's it.
These things aren't explained in a nice booklet - because they are totally different.
This has been explained by me (for nearly 8 years) and all my fellow moderators over the years. Unlike in many countries where the bureaucracy writes down everything to the nth degree the UK system of rules and regulations is much less prescriptive, and relies on precedence and established practices. And we haven't seen any reports from members here who have been affected due to BRP applications.
Personally I leave it as explained above. Again, most of us have been through same/similar processes and worries but in the end we all go through this. Also, whilst many of us have not much faith in UKVI they don't have a policy of tripping up applicants.
I suggest you go ahead with what you need to do .... you might even get approved for nationality before your new BRP turns up.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.