ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can ILR Continuous Period Residency Period Start In Absence

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Can ILR Continuous Period Residency Period Start In Absence

Post by rubyracer2 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:45 pm

Dear Gurus,

My wife's continuous residency was broken in December 2019 when she went back to India for pregnancy. She finally returned (with my child) in October 2020 after Covid.

So her continuous residency period according to my calculations will be March 2020 to March 2025. In this period, there is no 365 day period where absence is more than 180 days. However this period starts during an absence (late March to early October 2020). Is there any guidance which states that the applicant must be in the UK during the start of the continuous residency requirement?

Her visa is only valid till May 2025, so I can delay the application by a bit but the continuous residency will be started during a time when she was not in the country. Will this create an issue? Thanks in advance

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Can ILR Continuous Period Residency Period Start In Absence

Post by zimba » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:10 pm

There is no such requirement.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Post by rubyracer2 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:35 pm

zimba wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:10 pm
There is no such requirement.
Thanks Zimba appreciate your reply. So I can apply in March 2025 for her ILR.

Also is the end date of the qualifying period, the application date, or the biometric date, or the day the case officer assesses the case. I am not planning to go for a priority application so it might be a couple of months before the case is considered.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:36 pm

Application date.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

smartbuddy82
United Kingdom

Post by smartbuddy82 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:31 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:36 pm
Application date.
End date of the Qualifying period will be the decision date, isn't it?

As per the caseworker guidance:
You must calculate the relevant qualifying period by counting backward from whichever of the following is most beneficial to the applicant: the date of application. the date of decision. any date up to 28 days after the date of application

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:38 pm

The date of decision cannot be determined in advance, so it is perfectly reasonable to rely on the date of application. If someone applies for an in-time application, the caseworkers can use the date of the decision to calculate the 5 years, if this is beneficial to the application
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 am

smartbuddy82 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:31 pm
CR001 wrote:
Application date.

You must calculate the relevant qualifying period by counting backward from whichever of the following is most beneficial to the applicant: the date of application. the date of decision. any date up to 28 days after the date of application
You quoted caseworker guidance. As an applicant you do not know decision date beforehand, therefore you use application date while the guidance is telling CW to use most beneficial date amongst the stated when deciding.

smartbuddy82
United Kingdom

Post by smartbuddy82 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:25 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 am
smartbuddy82 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Application date.

You quoted caseworker guidance. As an applicant you do not know decision date beforehand, therefore you use application date while the guidance is telling CW to use most beneficial date amongst the stated when deciding.
Yes understood with explanation from Zimba and yourself.

Decision date is undermined, so Biometric date maybe the last date applicant can use for calculations, as that would be latest determined date (as Biometric can be done upto 45 days after submission, if I am not wrong).

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:29 am

smartbuddy82 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:25 am
AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 am
smartbuddy82 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Application date.

Yes understood with explanation from Zimba and yourself.

Decision date is undermined, so Biometric date maybe the last date applicant can use for calculations, as that would be latest determined date (as Biometric can be done upto 45 days after submission, if I am not wrong correct).
Application date which is when you submitted the application and or made online payment is what is relevant.

rubyracer2
Member of Standing
India

Post by rubyracer2 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 pm

Thanks all!