ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help - Category F - incorporation of self employment from a zero hours contract

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gaboiv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Please help - Category F - incorporation of self employment from a zero hours contract

Post by gaboiv » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:23 pm

Hello,

Im reaching out for some advice. I am applying for my wife's visa extension under category F.

As a self employed freelancer, I usually invoice and declare everything at the end of the year - however, one company I freelanced for had to be undertaken on a 'casual' (or zero hours) contract and I had to go on their PAYE system.
I stopped freelancing for them, I received a P45 and considered it in nature like my other work as self employed work.
Is there any grounds I can treat it as self employed income, or would it be considered as salaried income? In which case, I wouldn't be able to include it towards meeting the threshold for category F as I stopped freelancing there over 6 months ago.

I also need that income to meet the threshold.
Thanks in advance for any help

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Please help - Category F - incorporation of self employment from a zero hours contract

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:49 am

It is not technically self employment, you could choose to treat it as such but if there is any level of scrutiny of your accounts and bank statements it will be easily identified.
If your banking does not show an income above the threshold required then it will deemed you have not met the threshold.
Does your banked income meet the threshold?

gaboiv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Please help - Category F - incorporation of self employment from a zero hours contract

Post by gaboiv » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:25 am

Thank you for your answer.
This year my Gross income was £42k.

22K came from an employment contract, I stopped working there in September though.
During this period, I was also doing freelance when possible £5k was on a PAYE system as mentioned -
The remaining £15k was spread over the year and for which I invoiced and declared on my self assessment.

Technically I made more than required, however it says under category F that 'employment' can be combined in this category, however, to be accounted for in this category - it needs to be 'ongoing' within the last 6 months and still a source of income.

Hence why I wanted to explain why the 5K I considered as self employment. As a freelancer, I can work perhaps with a client once, on a one-off basis and never work with them again. This company policy simply meant I had to be put on the books and I was not treated as an 'employee' with no benefits an employee would have - such as 'sick pay, secure hours etc. I was a casual 'ad hoc' freelancer.

It puts me in a position where although I've exceeded the threshold. I dont think I fit the criteria for any category.

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:36 am

You only have to meet the extension criteria salary. So did the annual accounts for you as a self employed person for your last tax year exceed a gross amount of 18,600 - if as you are suggesting that was not the case then it will have to be a combined income from the other sources that will make up the threshold amount.
Going to look at the options again and see how this can be achieved.