ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

easy to answer question (I think).

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

magicman316

easy to answer question (I think).

Post by magicman316 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:35 pm

Should be an easy answer I think.

I married in Pakistan in 2014 (had a nikah) and registered the marraige there and got a marraige certificate from Pakistan.

My wife came in 2014. She got her british passport now.

We just had an Islamic divorce about 2 weeks ago so are no longer together.

To finalise this divorce what do i need to now do? Also I never registered the marriage in the UK so how do I/do I need to/ get a UK divorce certificate? do i need to file for divorce online? Confused as obvioulsy we lived together for 9 years. but never registered the marriage here, not even in registry office.

I want to know so that I have a clean slate in case I marry again in the future and need to bring my new wife here.

Follow up question, do I need to file for divorce at pakistani embassy here or in pakistan also somehow formally?

Thanks.
27/5/14 - Applied in Islamabad
12/06/14 - Decision Delayed (Further Enquiries)
13/06/14 - Email & Call from VAC to collect Passport
16/06/14 - Visa Granted!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: easy to answer question (I think).

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:33 am

You need to get a formal divorce as religious divorce is not recognised in the UK. As both of the parties to the marriage are British Citizens then I would suggest the formal divorce should be under UK law.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:02 pm

If both parties are dual British-Pakistani citizens, the divorce can be in either the UK or Pakistani courts.

But there needs to be a judicial/legal divorce, with the legal paperwork to prove the divorce.

The divorce needs to be finalised (by a decree absolute in English law, if divorcing in England and Wales) before any prospective remarriage.

The date of any remarriage must be after the decree absolute or any finalisation of the divorce in Pakistan.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MWA231
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by MWA231 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm

Hi.
i got married in pakistan in 2022 july and apply spouse visa for my x wife. she got visa in jan 2023 and she came in march 2023 and we divorce in oct 2023. but i got divorce letter from pakistan union council and she xwife she is still in uk. if i will get married in future in pakistan does home office accept pakistan divorce or do i have to apply for UK divorce.

many thanks