ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship queries - residency

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

citizenship queries - residency

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:07 pm

hi, spouse of non-eea citizen applying for citizenship after holding ilr since 2020.

for proof of residency, is the passport covering the residency period the only thing that is required (with stamps)? i've heard people/lawyers say i need more documents and proof of address and residence which is confusing me? please help

during the last 3 years i have had 2 passports - one of these expired end of april 2021 and i didnt renew for 6 months - will this 6 month gap affect my application? do i need to provide any evidence in this time period?

should i wait to apply until exactly 3 years since my new passport was issued? i have stamps when i went abroad only once in this period is this ok?

i also took my english b1 test 7 yrs ago - was used for all my applications since then so can i use again?

i do not have any other proofs available such as p60 or gov letters

any help will be appreciated

thank u

secret.simon

Re: citizenship queries - residency

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:16 pm

lavenderhaze9349 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:07 pm
i do not have any other proofs available such as p60 or gov letters
You'd essentially need to get a few of these.

Because you are the spouse of an EEA citizen, there is a good chance that your passports were not stamped on every visit to and from the UK and therefore they can't be sufficient proof of residence in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:18 pm

Op states they are a spouse of a non eu citizen
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:18 pm

sorry i didnt make this clear - my spouse is a british citizen

i am a non-eea citizen (india) applying for citizenship in the uk. rest of the above still applies. please help

everytime i have left the country my passport has been stamped on entry and exit of arrival country and re-entry in uk

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:25 pm

As a UK ILR holder your passpor(s) with stamps covering the residency period are sufficient.
P60, Council Tax bills, etc not required - those are used by EU citizens whose passports didn't get stamped.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:27 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:25 pm
As a UK ILR holder your passpor(s) with stamps covering the residency period are sufficient.
P60, Council Tax bills, etc not required - those are used by EU citizens whose passports didn't get stamped.
Thank you, so as my spouse is a British citizen and I have ILR and not a EU citizen, my passport with stamps is sufficient - correct? No other documentation is needed for 3 years? I only left the country once in the period however it is evidenced by stamps.

What to do about the gap in renewing my foreign passport? Will that be an issue? Should i wait until it's 3 years since my new passport was issued so the 3 years is covered entirely by the passport?

Also is the B1 fine ?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 pm

Correct - passport only.
If you renewed your passport during the period you scan the old one and the new one. It's not a requirement to have just one passport as proof.
And yes, B1 English is fine.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:55 pm

Thank you so much, i really appreciate your help and quick responses.

Will it matter that my old passport expired in April 2021 and the new one was issued 6 months after. This would mean i have no passport proof for 6 months - will this make a difference? I know 2 passports isn't an issue but the fact there's a 6 month gap between renewing this concerns me. Will i need other evidence in this 6 month period?

This falls into the 3 year period (Apr 2021 - Apr 2024) so i am just worried.

Many thanks to everyone's help so far

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:16 am

sorry for bumping this again but please can someone help me.

will the gap of 6 months in renewing my passport have any affect in my application? do i need to provide any new evidence during this time?

also, does it matter that i only left the country once in this 3 year period. it is evidenced by stamps but does it matter that for the other 2 years there is nothing.

thank u for ur help!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:30 am

lavenderhaze9349 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:16 am
sorry for bumping this again but please can someone help me.

will the gap of 6 months in renewing my passport have any affect in my application? do i need to provide any new evidence during this time? I doubt six months gap is an issue. Caseworkers know that passport renewals in general can take a while.

also, does it matter that i only left the country once in this 3 year period. it is evidenced by stamps but does it matter that for the other 2 years there is nothing. If your total absences tally with your passport stamps there shouldn't be an issue.

thank u for ur help!

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:38 am

thank u

so do you recommend to apply now instead of waiting 6 months so the whole 3 years is covered by a valid passport for the period?

should i write a cover letter explaining this or will it not matter?

sorry just wanting to make sure they won't reject based on this

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:26 am

For peace of mind write a covering note explaining. Caseworker will see you are proactive. I wouldn't expect this being a reason for refusal.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:27 am

If you are worried you can supply a P60/council tax bill that covers the gap. The only important thing is that you do not lie. Of course it won't be a problem that you haven't travelled.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:05 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:27 am
If you are worried you can supply a P60/council tax bill that covers the gap. The only important thing is that you do not lie. Of course it won't be a problem that you haven't travelled.
I do not have a P60 as I did not work during this time - also the council tax bill is not in my name.

Will it be sufficient to provide the passport's and explain in a cover letter that the passport was not renewed for 6 months but i did not travel anywhere and the stamps correspond with my absences in the last 3 years?

thank u for ur kind words and response so far

Temp23
Newly Registered
Gambia

Post by Temp23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 pm

Hi, I've recently applied for naturalisation, but under the "Applications made in the UK or abroad" I've just realised I forgot to mention an application made in 2011 in the UK. I did mentioned all applications after that. Is this likely to cause an issue with my application, and if so, what do I do now to rectify it.
Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:45 pm

Did you attend biometrics? If so you can declare this in the cover letter. EIther way it won't affect your application, UKVI wants to cross check data with their records, this won't affect your statutory requirements.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Temp23
Newly Registered
Gambia

Post by Temp23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 pm

@contorded_svy....Was that response to my query?
If yes, no I booked my biometric appointment but have not attended yet. Thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 pm

Then add the details you forgot to a cover letter and upload it to the UKVCAS website.

Temp23
Newly Registered
Gambia

Post by Temp23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:00 pm

Thank you for that, much appreciated!