ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mashafy
Newly Registered
Egypt

Naturalisation

Post by mashafy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 pm

The 12-month period from getting the ILR will be complete a week after I'll travel abroad for 6 weeks of annual leave. Can I apply for the naturalisation before travelling or should I wait until returning?

secret.simon

Re: Naturalisation

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 pm

mashafy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 pm
wait until returning
This option.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 pm

mashafy wrote:
The 12-month period from getting the ILR will be complete a week after I'll travel abroad for 6 weeks of annual leave. Can I apply for the naturalisation before travelling or should I wait until returning?
You must be physically in the UK to apply.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:32 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 pm
mashafy wrote:
You must be physically in the UK to apply.
I have never seen the requirement of physical presence in the UK on the day of application. I only see that it's required to be physically present in the UK exactly 5 years before the Home Office receives your application. Can you please provide the source? Thank you.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:34 pm

You are declaring you are in the UK when you apply and you need to declare your absences with start and end date so you have to be back in order to do that.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

mashafy
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by mashafy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 pm

Thank you for the responses.

Yes, that's right. But, if I apply before travelling, I don't have an issue with the absence's start and end dates as I'll be physically in the UK for around 6 years.

So, I'd like to know if it's OK if I apply before travelling considering the the period between issuing the ILR and the date of travel is around 11 months and 3 weeks especially since an application usually takes more than 3 months to process.