ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

trevoronitselec

Passport application

Post by trevoronitselec » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:08 pm

After acquiring british citizenship me and my family now are all applying for our first UK passports. Do we need to send all our non-UK passports including the old ones or only the current one?

Also, sending the documents can we send it in one envelope or we need to send it individually?

Thank you again for all your help

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Passport application

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:39 am

Send all uncancelled passports. You can send them in the same envelope if you write all reference numbers outside the envelope and I would also add a cover letter to explain.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

citzenkane
Newly Registered
Mood:
Mozambique

Post by citzenkane » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 am

I am applying for my first UK passport now that i have acquired UK citizenship.

But, why on earth do they need my current non-UK passport in order to process my first UK passport application??

I travel frequently for work so i cant afford to give them my only other non-UK passport in the meantime. Usually i travel every two weeks for work purposes...

Is there anything else i can give them? surely my biometric residence permit is sufficient proof of who i am,
also my certificate of naturalization is confirmation of my status too!

I really don't want to give up my ONLY other passport in order to get a UK one. Are you able to advice me of options?

uuee6543
United Kingdom

Post by uuee6543 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:15 am

citzenkane wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 am

But, why on earth do they need my current non-UK passport in order to process my first UK passport application??

I travel frequently for work so i cant afford to give them my only other non-UK passport in the meantime. Usually i travel every two weeks for work purposes...

Is there anything else i can give them? surely my biometric residence permit is sufficient proof of who i am,

I really don't want to give up my ONLY other passport in order to get a UK one. Are you able to advice me of options?

There is NO other option. You HAVE TO send all your uncancelled foreign passports not only to confirm identity but also because the UK requires the name on your UK passport and naturalisation certificate to 100% match all your foreign passports. So if there is even an apostrophe difference in spelling or a space etc, they will NOT issue you a UK passport (you will need to change your name in your foreign documents so they they match UK naturalisation certificate).

I believe you can request that HMPO return your foreign passport sooner than the rest of your application is processed by calling them and maybe even including a cover letter with an explanation that you need to travel every two weeks. Call them to find out how soon they could return it.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:28 pm

citzenkane wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 am

It is necessary to provide ALL your uncancelled passports. suggest you call them to explain and maybe speak to your employer to schedule time to apply for your UK passport. Also note that you are supposed to return your BRP cut in half (a number of people choose not to do this) but I would definitely avoid sending that as it won't help. Also note that if you travelled on your non-UK passport you may be denied boarding as you acquired citizenship, and to prove that you'd need your naturalisation certificate (which in this scenario you'd have sent to HMPO).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.