ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shohjura
United Kingdom

Citizenship queries

Post by shohjura » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:03 pm

hi guys, hope everyone is well.
I am planning to make an application to become a British citizen in this summer.

My situations is as follows:
-I have had ILR on the basis of 10 years since Jan 21
-currently I work in a large automotive company with salary close to £60k
-I live with my wife who is on spouse visa since March 23, she is pregnant with our first child (he will get British passport on the basis of my ILR), due in June 24
-I studied bachelor's&master's degree in UK
-passed Life in UK test as part of ILR application
-my absences from UK are-30/9/22-29/11/22, 31/5/22-5/7/22, 3/9/21-28/9/21, 6/10/18-23/10/18, 19/1/18-13/2/18, 23/10/15-17/11/15, 24/12/10-14/1/11-totally 210 days since I came to uk in Dec 2009.
-no criminal/other offences

My questions are:
-for 2 referees-i have a friend (Turkish nationality) who has known me for over 13 years, works as a chef and business partner (British, engineer), have known me for 5 years, both over 25-do these 2 people qualify as referees?
-entry stamp to my country for 31/5/22 from passport is missing-if I get letter from my previous employer stating I was employed during that time with them and I was on holiday along with payslip for May&June 22 and/or flight ticket copy, would that be enough to prove 5 year residence? all other stamps for absences can be seen in the passport
-anything needed to prove future intention requirement?
-we might move a house when the application is with home office-could the documents be returned (if successful) to a post office/friend's house?
-will they ask why i didn’t apply for passport as i got my ILR more than 3 years ago and had a chance to apply 2 years ago?
-my ILR BRP expires in the end of 2024 like others-if my application is still with Home Office during this time, would this be an issue (I am guessing I just need to renew my BRP while application is being processed)?
-what is the current lead time for citizenship application?
-Anything I might be missing?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship queries

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:26 pm

-for 2 referees-i have a friend (Turkish nationality) who has known me for over 13 years, works as a chef and business partner (British, engineer), have known me for 5 years, both over 25-do these 2 people qualify as referees?
Chef no as that is not on the list of Professional referees. Page 23 in the link below has the list. The British Engineer, what type of 'engineer' is the person?
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... df#page=24
-entry stamp to my country for 31/5/22 from passport is missing-if I get letter from my previous employer stating I was employed during that time with them and I was on holiday along with payslip for May&June 22 and/or flight ticket copy, would that be enough to prove 5 year residence? all other stamps for absences can be seen in the passport
Nothing required. Just add the detail in the form, including the missing stamp. There is space in the form at the end I think to add a note or simply add a cover letter explaining. None of the documents you state are needed. You are overthinking. UKVI has access to all your travel information.
-anything needed to prove future intention requirement?
No.
-we might move a house when the application is with home office-could the documents be returned (if successful) to a post office/friend's house?
I would suggest you then only apply AFTER you have moved to avoid any issues.
-will they ask why i didn’t apply for passport as i got my ILR more than 3 years ago and had a chance to apply 2 years ago?
No. They don't care when you apply. Citizenship is not a compulsory application that must be made within a certain time.
-my ILR BRP expires in the end of 2024 like others-if my application is still with Home Office during this time, would this be an issue (I am guessing I just need to renew my BRP while application is being processed)?
There won't be ANY BRP cards after December 2024, it will be a digital status. You MUST keep the BRP as that will be proof of your childs right to citizenship if you held ILR at the time of their birth.
-what is the current lead time for citizenship application?
It can take anywhere up to 6 months, sometimes longer.
-Anything I might be missing?
No, it is not a complicated application and requires minimal supporting documents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shohjura
United Kingdom

Post by shohjura » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:30 pm

thanks,
can I then use my 2nd business partner as referee-he is a consultant researcher with top uni in uk
first referee is a head of industrial design in large aerospace company in UK

many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:33 pm

can I then use my 2nd business partner as referee-he is a consultant researcher with top uni in uk
Are they British? If yes, use as your second referee.
first referee is a head of industrial design in large aerospace company in UK
Use as Professional referee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shohjura
United Kingdom

Post by shohjura » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:24 pm

ok, just enquiring with friends who might qualify.
for professional reference I am using my business partner (head of industrial design, have known me for over 3 years, British and over 25)

for second reference, can I possibly use my other Turkish friend who recently became a British citizen (over 25, have known me more than 3 years)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:34 pm

for professional reference I am using my business partner (head of industrial design, have known me for over 3 years, British and over 25)
Did I not answer that above already? Your professional referee can be of any nationality, does not have to be British.
for second reference, can I possibly use my other Turkish friend who recently became a British citizen (over 25, have known me more than 3 years)?
Your second referee simply needs to be over 25 and British. Doesn't matter when they became British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shohjura
United Kingdom

Post by shohjura » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:38 am

hi all,
for life in uk test reference number, I have the following
PSI/090920/LN125LC25/DMQTQEUR (numbers changed), test taken in Sep 2020 in London, but the application form is saying 'If you took your test after 17 December 2019, your reference number will be in the email sent to you with your result, it will be in this format: ABC/111111/111111/111111111'
I am looking at the wrong ref number? I have submitted the same number as part of ILR application too.

thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:26 pm

It seems to me that is fine especially if you submitted it for ILR. The format quoted is a rough indication that there are 3 letters and 3 strings of characters.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:33 pm

shohjura wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:38 am
hi all,
for life in uk test reference number, I have the following
PSI/090920/LN125LC25/DMQTQEUR (numbers changed), test taken in Sep 2020 in London, but the application form is saying 'If you took your test after 17 December 2019, your reference number will be in the email sent to you with your result, it will be in this format: ABC/111111/111111/111111111'
I am looking at the wrong ref number? I have submitted the same number as part of ILR application too. That is the right number to use.

thanks

shohjura
United Kingdom

Post by shohjura » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:24 pm

cool, thanks for that.
in terms of 'entry stamp to my country for 31/5/22 from passport is missing-if I get letter from my previous employer stating I was employed during that time with them and I was on holiday along with payslip for May&June 22 and/or flight ticket copy, would that be enough to prove 5 year residence? all other stamps for absences can be seen in the passport'
''Nothing required. Just add the detail in the form, including the missing stamp. There is space in the form at the end I think to add a note or simply add a cover letter explaining. None of the documents you state are needed. You are overthinking. UKVI has access to all your travel information''

when I am filling the application, it is asking for Proof of living in the UK for Mr xx for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen and If you do not have your passport or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof-i am guessing this is asking for entry stamp to UK (which is there), not the entry stamp to my country?

and it is also asking for 2 referee declarations-does filling there personal details in the application enough (address, passport number, date of birth etc), or I need to provide a letter from them?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:34 pm

in terms of 'entry stamp to my country for 31/5/22 from passport is missing-if I get letter from my previous employer stating I was employed during that time with them and I was on holiday along with payslip for May&June 22 and/or flight ticket copy, would that be enough to prove 5 year residence? all other stamps for absences can be seen in the passport'
''Nothing required. Just add the detail in the form, including the missing stamp. There is space in the form at the end I think to add a note or simply add a cover letter explaining. None of the documents you state are needed. You are overthinking. UKVI has access to all your travel information''
You only need to list the absence. UKVI have their own internal checks based on airline departure data to cross reference. You do NOT need to add any additional unnecessary documents you THINK are relevant. You are overthinking.
when I am filling the application, it is asking for Proof of living in the UK for Mr xx for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen and If you do not have your passport or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof-i am guessing this is asking for entry stamp to UK (which is there), not the entry stamp to my country?
Just submit all stamped pages of the passport(s). UKVI know what they are looking for. You are overthinking this completely. You do NOT have to submit irrelevant documents.
and it is also asking for 2 referee declarations-does filling there personal details in the application enough (address, passport number, date of birth etc), or I need to provide a letter from them?
You need to complete the form and each of your referees need to sign the form you have completed. No letter is needed!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shohjura
United Kingdom

Post by shohjura » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:47 pm

would digital signature of the referees be acceptable btw as pointed out in this thread?
british-citizenship/referee-declaration ... 32752.html

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pm

Yes, as far as they are compatible with the actual signature on their passport. The form will be uploaded in digital format.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 am

The response from the quoted thread stands and applies to your question.

shohjura
United Kingdom

Post by shohjura » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:51 pm

thanks for support so far!
wha can I provide for the following-passport with all entry&exit stamp pages?
'Proof of living in the UK for Mr xx for 5 years if applying in your own right''

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:58 pm

Just passport yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shohjura
United Kingdom

Post by shohjura » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:07 pm

cool, thank you.
I have uploaded the following to sopra steria, please point out If I am missing anything:
Passport
BRP
UK bachelor's&master's degrees
2 signed referee declarations

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:12 pm

You only need ONE of the UK degrees.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:44 pm

You should be fine

shohjura
United Kingdom

Post by shohjura » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 am

thanks guys.
one more question, I booked an appointment with sopra steria for biometrics&photo-will the biometrics&photo be taken again for passport separately?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:52 am

You won't need to attend an appointment for your passport, you will only have to upload a picture if applying online or send a picture if you are applying by post. You will only be able to apply for a passport after your application has been approved and you attend the citizenship ceremony.