ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Skilled worker Cos dates and IHS charges

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Rias83
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Skilled worker Cos dates and IHS charges

Post by Rias83 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:37 am

Hi
I have read few posts and found them quite helpful. Many thanx to the experienced suggestions.
I am switching visa to skilled worker, 1st permission is for 3 years from 2nd sep 2021 to 2nd sep 2024.

Now my Cos dates I have requested the employer to decide for 2 years in a way that I be eligible for ILR after 2 years and for new skilled visa I don't have to pay more than 2 years nhs charges.
For ILR I complete 5 years on 2nd sep 2026.but I become eligible on 4th of August 2026 considering 28days earlier than 60 months.Can the cos works dates be from 20th August 2024 to 19th August 2026.or do the visa end date should be complete 5 years.(I have read in case worker guidance that end of permission granted should be 14 days after the end work date on Cos, this can cover complete 5 years but I need suggestions safe side)

Is it OK for home office that I have 2 years cos dates instead of 2.5 or 3 years or it creates doubt that skilled worker visa is being applied to complete another 2 years just to reach ILR.
Main point is just to save IHS charges as I have 4 dependents too. But I want to be safe side too.. If it gives any doubt or I don't qualify for ILR I will request my employer to extend the dates.

If I apply for 3 months let's say on 20th May before my work start date (20August) as per rule u have to start work no later than 28 days of cos dates or permission granted, what if I apply priority service and get permission within a week but my work start date is still far than 28 days.
Will I have to start work earlier?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Skilled worker Cos dates and IHS charges

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:17 pm

Your employer can issue a COS with a start date of 2nd September 2024 - and that saves all the hassle. This assumes you will be extending with the same employer?

The COS can be issued up to 90 days before the start date and you can apply up until the 2nd September 2024.

A lot of over thinking to solve a problem that does not really exist.

Rias83
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Rias83 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 pm

Thank you for your reply.
No I won't be extending with the same employer.. I have mentioned in my query that I will be switching to skilled worker.. That's y I need to be cautious of the dates.
My main concern is if next 2 years will cause me 2 years of ihs fee or more.. I have 4 dependents so ihs costs a lot if it's not full 2 years.
I have read that skilled worker pay ihs fee according to the length of visa not according to the dates on cos. Does it mean if cos is for 2 years, visa length will be more than 2 years as they will give you decision before some time and permission will also end after few days. So will it bring 2 and half year IHS fee.. If someone has paid the fee accordingly can suggest better.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 pm

What is your current visa? are you switching from what visa type exactly?

For the skilled worker route, the employer can issue a CoS for two years and you will need to pay all the fees, including IHS for the period of time in the CoS, and for every applicant.

Rias83
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Rias83 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:03 pm

Immigration Health Surcharge: caseworker guidance
this links guides about ihs fee calculation.
I have understood in this guidance that cos dates doesn't decide the fee amount of skilled worker.. They include the time of start of visa granted from and end date of permission.. Even if the dates on Cos are completely 2 years you will pay ihs fee 2 and half year as some grace period will be there for visa permission start and end date.