ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving after citizenship application but before BPR, with a twist

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

uhd4k
New Zealand

Leaving after citizenship application but before BPR, with a twist

Post by uhd4k » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 pm

Hi,

If I leave the UK for a week after my citizenship application is submitted and paid for, but before attending my biometric appointment, my absence would become 482 days for the last 5 years. Would that take me out of the 480-day threshold for discretion? or does the clock absence stop at the moment the application is paid for?

Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Leaving after citizenship application but before BPR, with a twist

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

uhd4k wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 pm
Hi,

If I leave the UK for a week after my citizenship application is submitted and paid for, but before attending my biometric appointment, my absence would become 482 days for the last 5 years. Would that take me out of the 480-day threshold for discretion? NO or does the clock absence stop at the moment the application is paid for YES ? Note the biometrics date is not relevant in this context, the key date is submission/paid.

Thanks.
NB. What is BPR??
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:21 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm
Note the biometrics date is not relevant in this context, the key date is submission/paid.
Ok thanks. One more question to complete my understanding, please. What is the rule around absence after biometric appointment? They say it takes 6 months for an answer. What if I spend 3 or 4 or 5 months traveling and/or remotely working from outside the country while waiting for an answer? Would that impact the decision? If so, what is the threshold, if there is one? I could not find any official documentation on the subject.
Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:24 pm

uhd4k wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:21 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Note the biometrics date is not relevant in this context, the key date is submission/paid.
Ok thanks. One more question to complete my understanding, please. What is the rule around absence after biometric appointment? They say it takes 6 months for an answer. What if I spend 3 or 4 or 5 months traveling and/or remotely working from outside the country while waiting for an answer? Would that impact the decision? If so, what is the threshold be, if there is one?
There is no rule for absences post application/birometrics date.
You are assessed as per the details you have submitted.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:29 am

uhd4k wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:21 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Ok thanks. One more question to complete my understanding, please. What is the rule around absence after biometric appointment? They say it takes 6 months for an answer. What if I spend 3 or 4 or 5 months traveling and/or remotely working from outside the country while waiting for an answer? Would that impact the decision? If so, what is the threshold, if there is one? I could not find any official documentation on the subject.
Thanks.
You will need to return for the ceremony and once you become British you need to apply for your first UK passport from the UK.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.