ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR 10 years and Dependents

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kumarnat
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ILR 10 years route - Advice please

Post by kumarnat » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi there, I'm currently on Skilled worked visa from Nov 2021. This means that I will be eligible for ILR only on Nov 2026 in 5 years route. However I have had combination on ICT and Dependent Visa since Mar 2015 as below. Point to note is, I had to leave UK, go back to India, obtain new visa and travel again to UK. I satisfy the below conditions as well:
1) No stay out of UK 180 days in any 12 months period
2) No stay out of UK for more than 540 days till now.

Am I eligible for ILR in 10 years route from Mar 2025?

UK Stay History:
1) Stayed in UK 14/Mar/2015 to 14/Apr/2015 - ICT Dependent.
2) Went to India and stayed 166 days and processed new Visa as visa expired.
3) Stayed in UK 27/Sep/2015 to 18/Sep/2016 - ICT Short Term.
4) Went to India and stayed 144 days and processed new visa as visa expired.
5) Stayed in UK 10/Jan/2017 to 08/Jan/2019 - ICT Long Term.
6) Went to India and stayed 165 days and processed new visa as visa expired.
7) Stayed in UK 22/Jun/2019 to 20/Nov/2021 - ICT Dependent
8 ) Switched to Skilled Worker from 21/Nov/2021 till date

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR 10 years route - Advice please

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:47 pm

All visas count for long residence ilr.

This route for you means it is more complication for your dependents who won't be able to stay on PBS Dependent visas and will have to switch to FLR M meeting all the requirements and this resetz their 5 year ilr clock to zero.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kumarnat
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kumarnat » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:31 pm

Thank you. I was told that if we leave out of country and come back to UK in different visa (as the previous one expired and new visa is obtained), this will not be counted for 10 years route. Is this correct information? Hence the confusion.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:35 pm

kumarnat wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:31 pm
Thank you. I was told that if we leave out of country and come back to UK in different visa (as the previous one expired and new visa is obtained), this will not be counted for 10 years route. Is this correct information? Hence the confusion.
If you leave BEFORE the visa expires and return with a new visa within 180 days, it counts. The only time it does NOT count is if you leave the UK after your visa expired.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kumarnat
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ILR 10 years and Dependents

Post by kumarnat » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:14 am

Hi Team,

As confirmed in my previous post, I will be eligible for ILR in March 2025 under 10 years route considering the below history (please note every time I leave country, I had valid visa due to expire soon, and had to get new visa from India and come back). There was a confusion with statement - "Left the United Kingdom in circumstances in which he could have had no reasonable expectation at the time of leaving that he would lawfully be able to return"

1) Stayed in UK 14/Mar/2015 to 14/Apr/2015 - ICT Dependent.
2) Went to India and stayed 166 days and processed new Visa as visa expired.
3) Stayed in UK 27/Sep/2015 to 18/Sep/2016 - ICT Short Term.
4) Went to India and stayed 144 days and processed new visa as visa expired.
5) Stayed in UK 10/Jan/2017 to 08/Jan/2019 - ICT Long Term.
6) Went to India and stayed 165 days and processed new visa as visa expired.
7) Stayed in UK 22/Jun/2019 to 20/Nov/2021 - ICT Dependent
8 ) Switched to Skilled Worker from 21/Nov/2021 till date

I have a question for my dependents. Currently my dependents are on Skilled Worker Dependent. When I quality for ILR in 10 years route on Mar 2025, I believe my dependents can continue extending Skilled Worker Dependent (and no need to switch to family visa)? And they will be eligible for ILR either in 5 years (as skilled worker dependent) or 10 years (if they qualify earlier under this category)?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR 10 years and Dependents

Post by zimba » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:55 pm

Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

kumarnat
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kumarnat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 pm

Hi team, while going through the below guidance I’m little confused. Considering my situation as mentioned above - every time I leave UK though I had valid visa, I come back to UK with new visa that was applied after few months of expiry of previous visa. Does it break my continuous residence ? Just struggling to interpret the below:

CR 4.1. An applicant’s continuous residence period will be broken if any of the following apply:
(a) the applicant is convicted of an offence and sentenced to a period of imprisonment (unless it is a suspended sentence) or directed to be detained in an institution other than a prison, unless the applicant is applying for settlement under Appendix Settlement Family Life or Appendix Private Life and CR 4.4. applies; or
(b) the applicant is subject to a deportation order, exclusion order or exclusion direction; or
(c) the applicant is subject to removal directions, or in the case of an application under Appendix Long Residence removed from the UK, under section 10 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999; or
(d) the applicant does not currently have, or did not have, permission, unless:
(i) the applicant was granted permission following a successful application where paragraph 39E of these rules applied; or
(ii) (except for applications under Appendix Long Residence), the applicant had permission when they left the UK, applied for entry clearance before that permission expired, or within 14 days of that permission expiring, and that application for entry clearance was successful; or
(iii) the application is under Appendix Long Residence, and the applicant had permission when they left the UK and returned to the UK with a valid permission (on the same or another route) provided they do not exceed the absence period in CR 2.1, CR 2.2. or CR 2.2A; or
(iv) CR 4.2. applies; or
(e) the applicant is absent from the UK for longer than the periods permitted under CR 2.1, CR 2.2., and CR 2.2A, and none of the exceptions in CR 2.3, CR 2.5, CR 3.1. and CR 3.2. apply; or
(f) the applicant is removed from the UK, is deported or leaves the UK having been refused permission to enter, permission to stay or settlement, and any permission held at the time of that voluntary departure has expired, unless CR 4.2. applies.
CR 4.2. Any period without permission under CR 4.1.(d) before 24 November 2016 will break the continuous residence period unless:
(a) the applicant made a successful application for permission (either in or outside the UK) within 28 days of the date their previous permission expired: or
(b) the applicant had permission when they left the UK, applied for entry clearance before that permission expired and that application for entry clearance was successful.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:30 am

That does NOT apply to the long residence path to ILR. Under the long residence rules, you can leave with a valid visa and return within 6 months without issues.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

kumarnat
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kumarnat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:17 pm

Thanks for the response @Zimba. Could you please help me to understand why it is not applicable for long residence route please? I see this reference in almost all documents. Another example:

source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... pdf#page26
Applications for permission that were made outside the UK before 26 November
2016 will not break continuous residence if:
• the applicant made a successful application for permission within 28 days of
their previous permission expiring
• the applicant had permission when they left the UK and made a successful
application for entry clearance before that permission expired

source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... -residence
CR 4.2. Any period without permission under CR 4.1.(d) before 24 November 2016 will break the continuous residence period unless:
(a) the applicant made a successful application for permission (either in or outside the UK) within 28 days of the date their previous permission expired: or
(b) the applicant had permission when they left the UK, applied for entry clearance before that permission expired and that application for entry clearance was successful.

Reason I'm worried because, in my immigration history, I left UK on 18/09/2016 (ICT Short term Visa End Date being 20/09/2016. I applied ICT long term and visa start date was 29/12/2016 and arrived UK on 10/01/2017. As per the above statement, I might have broken continuous residence as I didn't apply next visa within 28 days of previous permission expiring or made a successful application for entry clearance before that permission expired.

I wanted to be sure before I pay the visa fee to avoid any refusal on these clause. Sorry to ask more questions.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:11 pm

Look at 'Example 2: specific to Appendix Long Residence' in the guide you shared yourself

Also paragraph CR4.1(d)(iii) of the immigration rules says:
(iii) the application is under Appendix Long Residence, and the applicant had permission when they left the UK and returned to the UK with a valid permission (on the same or another route) provided they do not exceed the absence period in CR 2.1, CR 2.2. or CR 2.2A; or
(iv) CR 4.2. applies; or
So CR 4.2 applies normally but under long residence, it is effectively is excluded

kumarnat
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kumarnat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:47 pm

Thanks Zimba. I did, however in the example 2, there is no mention about when the applicant applied for new visa - within expiry of the previous visa or within 28 days of expiry. Hence the confusion.

kumarnat
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kumarnat » Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:09 am

Hi Team, another confusion please on 10 year route.

As per the page - https://www.gov.uk/long-residence/eligibility

I can see the below, is it not contradictory to case worker guidance?
If your time abroad began before 11 April 2024
During the 10-year qualifying period, you do not have continuous residence if you were abroad for more than:

548 days in total
184 days in any 12-month period

Case worker guidance says - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... bookmark40

Appendix Long Residence: transitional arrangements for applicants where the absence started before 11 April 2024
Appendix Continuous Residence (at paragraph CR 2.2A) recognises that its provisions are different from the previous long residence rules at paragraph 276A and makes transitional arrangements specifically for long residence applicants.

These transitional arrangements preserve the position that continuous residence will be broken if an applicant has been absent from the UK for more than 184 days at any one time where the absences started before 11 April 2024, or for more than a total of 548 days overall in any part of their qualifying period before 11 April 2024.This means that:

any single absences started before 11 April 2024 must be no longer than 184 days
any part of a 10-year qualifying period before 11 April 2024 must not have total absences of more than 548 days
from 11 April 2024 the applicant must not have been outside the UK for more than 180 days in any 12-month period (see Calculating the length of absences)

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:10 pm

Please ignore the Gov.UK as the details are often missing or inaccurate.
You must stick to the official guide and the rules ONLY