ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Section 6(1) or 6(2)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Section 6(1) or 6(2)

Post by VirtualWaver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I received my citizenship certificate 2 days ago.

Now, my wife wants to apply for naturalisation too (she has ILR since 2018).

Now, it is a bit unclear on which section she will qualify to: 6(1) or 6(2)?

6(1) specifically says "not married to British Citizen" whilst 6(2) says "married to British Citizen". Technically, it is automatically 6(2) but we ideally want to apply under 6(1) to avoid providing unnecessary additional paperwork (marriage certificate, etc) that might be required for section 6(2), but the online system doesn't allow to select the type.

How to proceed with this? Shall she write a cover letter explaining she wants to apply under section 6(1)? Or will the online system automatically decide she is applying under 6(2) because she mentions her husband is British?

Will appreciate some insights on this. Thanks.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Section 6(1) or 6(2)

Post by VirtualWaver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:08 pm

To add additional details:

The system automatically decides she is applying as a spouse of British citizen (6(2)) and asks for extra documents (marriage certificate, my citizenship certificate, etc). This is probably because she mentioned in the online form that her husband is British (it has that question there).

How to proceed with this? Shall she write a cover letter explaining she wants to apply under section 6(1)? It is bizarre she could apply earlier without having to provide all this extra paperwork and applying on her own right whilst she seems to be now forcefully pushed to apply as a spouse of British citizen under section 6(2) without having a choice to apply on her own rights.

Not sure how to proceed with this. Thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 pm

Even though married to British and she mentioned in form, by not providing evidence of being married to a BC application will be considered under 6(1).
Providing an explanation of this to CW as you intend wouldn't hurt.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:21 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 pm
Even though married to British and she mentioned in form, by not providing evidence of being married to a BC application will be considered under 6(1).
So she basically need to not select the boxes next to entries related to BC in supporting documents page (marriage certificate, naturalisation certificate, etc) and only provide a cover letter and supporting documents for 6(1)? Any idea on what she should write in the cover letter - like she doesn't want to apply under 6(2) because she just doesnt want? Wouldn't it be a bit suspicious for case worker? Juts not sure what to do, exactly. Thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:31 pm

VirtualWaver wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:21 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 pm
So she basically need to not select the boxes next to entries related to BC in supporting documents page (marriage certificate, naturalisation certificate, etc) and only provide a cover letter and supporting documents for 6(1)? Any idea on what she should write in the cover letter - like she doesn't want to apply under 6(2) because she just doesnt want? Wouldn't it be a bit suspicious for case worker? Juts not sure what to do, exactly. Thanks.
She provably has to tick the boxes to be able to proceed with application ( I don't have a live application in front of me).
Cover note simply stating she qualifies in her own rights and applying as such hence CW should note marriage certificate and spouse's naturalisation cert not supplied.
CWs are aware of and encounters this more than you may think so no suspicious eyebrow to be raised.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:08 am

Can opt not to provide details related to the marriage and explain in a cover note. She has both options, it's not dodgy to choose the one she prefers.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:08 am
Can opt not to provide details related to the marriage and explain in a cover note. She has both options, it's not dodgy to choose the one she prefers.
Thanks, will try.

Are you aware of other people who did like this? I tried to dig the forum but couldn't find. Just want to be on safe side to avoid complications.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 pm

This subject comes up here regularly every week and the general opinions remain the same.
Don't recall anyone reporting they had issues or even a refusal due - like another member commented here caseworkers see this kind of confusion regularly and more than you think. They are not waiting to trip you up.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Fri May 03, 2024 10:24 pm

Thanks for your help, everyone!

My wife only ticked the boxes next to documents required to register under section 6(1) in the online form, and wrote a cover letter explaining this.

I will provide an update once she will get her decision letter.