ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 2 to skilled worker for Tier 1 dependant

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

janred
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Switching from Tier 2 to skilled worker for Tier 1 dependant

Post by janred » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:21 pm

Hi all,

My Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa expires in August 2024 and I will eligible for ILR (5 years) in June 2024. However, my business is not doing well so I will get the 2nd extension needed for ILR as I cannot fulfil the job creation requirements. So, me and my wife (Tier 1 PBS dependent) are applying for jobs. My wife has now found a Work sponsor so the idea is for her to switch from Tier 1 dependant to Tier 2 skilled worker and then immediately apply for ILR (as her 5 years will also be fulfilled in June 2024). Once she gets the ILR then me (Tier 1 Ent) and 2 of our dependants (PBS dependants) will directly apply for ILR. 2 questions here:

1. Can my wife switch from Tier 1 dependant to Tier 2 skilled worker and then immediately apply for ILR?
2. Can I and my dependants directly apply for ILR or need to first convert into Tier 2 dependants and then separately apply for ILR?

My biggest concern is that of encountering an ILR clock reset somewhere.

Thank you

meself2
Ireland

Re: Switching from Tier 2 to skilled worker for Tier 1 dependant

Post by meself2 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:28 pm

janred wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:21 pm
1. Can my wife switch from Tier 1 dependant to Tier 2 skilled worker and then immediately apply for ILR?
No. Clock will reset.
Your wife will move from a PBS dependant route to Skilled Worker route -> new 5 years are needed.
janred wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:21 pm
2. Can I and my dependants directly apply for ILR or need to first convert into Tier 2 dependants and then separately apply for ILR?
Same as above.
https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to- ... ly-members
Your partner can include time they’ve spent as your dependant on another visa to count towards the continuous years they need to qualify. They cannot count any time spent on their own visa (not as your dependant).
As kids (which I assume are born outside UK) will follow their less privileged parent, both parents would have to have ILR before they can get theirs, so no shortcut to their ILR either.

Main visa holders and their dependants are two different visa routes.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

janred
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by janred » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:34 pm

Thank you. And if I (Tier 1 Ent) switch to Tier 2 skilled worker, can I directly apply for ILR immediately?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 pm

janred wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:34 pm
Thank you. And if I (Tier 1 Ent) switch to Tier 2 skilled worker, can I directly apply for ILR immediately?
Time on T1 counts for skilled worker.
https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to- ... sa/time-uk
In the 5 years you’ve lived in the UK, you can include time you’ve had on any combination of the following visas:

any Tier 1 visa - except Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
You would need a payslip and a letter from your employer that he needs your for foreseeable future, but your time will be intact.

I'm unsure if your spouse can get ILR without switching visas (more qualified members will respond), but her time will count for this as well.

That would be the preferred option for you.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 pm

janred wrote:
You would need at least one month with a new employer to have a payslip and bank statement before you can apply for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

janred
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by janred » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:57 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 pm
janred wrote:
You would need at least one month with a new employer to have a payslip and bank statement before you can apply for ILR.
So it appears that I need to switch to Tier 2, wait a month and then apply for ILR.

As for my dependants, I am not sure about it as the https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to- ... amily-visa does not mention this in particular. Can they apply for ILR directly after mine OR make the switch to Tier 2 with me and then apply for ILR later on?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:29 am

Under skilled worker rules, a dependant can be under ANY dependant route for 5 years and qualify for ILR
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

janred
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by janred » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:11 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I will move into Tier 2 now and apply for ILR a month after that. My dependants will complete 5 years until June 10th 2024, so we will aim to apply for ILR all together at once.

janred
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by janred » Thu May 30, 2024 9:51 pm

Hi all,

Apologies for reopening this thread but I wanted to double check before I go ahead.

I have now applied for a switch from Tier 1 Entrepreneur to Skilled worker yesterday (decision pending). I and 3 PBS dependants will complete 5 years in UK until June 10th 2024 on T1 Ent. route and hence eligible for ILR.

I am in a dilemma regarding the following:

1. Switch all 3 dependants to Skilled worker dependants and then apply for ILR all together
OR
2. I switch to Skilled worker alone, wait for a month and then apply for ILR with my dependants with them still having Tier 1 PBS visa until 30 Aug 2024.

Thank you.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri May 31, 2024 4:58 am

zimba wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:29 am
Under skilled worker rules, a dependant can be under ANY dependant route for 5 years and qualify for ILR
The advice given earlier stands.

janred
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by janred » Fri May 31, 2024 9:43 am

That is helpful, thank you. As read in other threads, I will use a Set (O) form for the ILR applications of my dependants and use the option for Skilled worker visa.