ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Inviting a Parent of a Non-EU National to Live in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gooneradam
Newly Registered

Inviting a Parent of a Non-EU National to Live in Ireland

Post by gooneradam » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:06 pm

My wife (who is Russian) and I are married nearly 4 years. My wife is currently having her application for Irish citizenship processed: just the 2.5 years to wait.

My wife's mother lives on her own in New Zealand and we would like to invite her to live with us permanently in Ireland. She holds dual Russian and NZ citizenship.

We've checked on citizensinformation.ie and they say the following:
I am an Australian married to an Irish citizen and living in Cork. Can my Australian father come to live with us? He is on an Australian state pension.
If your father can show that he can support himself in Ireland and if he has private health insurance, he may come and live in Ireland with you.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...hts-in-ireland
Does anyone have any experience of this and what terms like "show you can support yourself" mean in practicality?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi gooneradam,

What nationality are you?

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:32 pm

She could come and live with you as a national of New Zealand. She would not be a visa required national and could stay here providing that she can be self sufficient. Meaning that she will get stamp 3, will have to provide her own medical insurance and will not have any access to public funds. She will not be able to work in Ireland without the work permit. It would help if you could prove that you could support her here as well.

gooneradam
Newly Registered

Post by gooneradam » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:56 pm

benifa wrote:Hi gooneradam,

What nationality are you?
I'm Irish.

Vikingdub
Newly Registered

Post by Vikingdub » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 pm

If she is retired and in receipt of a pension from NZ or if she can show proof independent means she may be able to reside here as a retiree if you can prove that you are self sufficient. Following may be useful

All non-EEA nationals need permission to remain in the State. Permission to remain will be in the form of an endorsement in your passport confirming the conditions and period of time for which you have permission to remain in the State.

Self Sufficiency
If you are a non visa required national coming to the State and are not economically active (other than a student) but intend to remain for longer than three months in the State, then you must be in a position to provide the following documents:

evidence of sufficient resources to cover your stay in the State without recourse to public funds, services or State benefits.
evidence of private medical insurance to cover your stay in the State.
You must report to your local Immigration Officer with details of your future intentions and sufficient evidence of the above.

As a rule of thumb an income of €25,000.00 pa is enough to prove self sufficiency. However, if you are in a position to prove that you can support her you should be ok.