ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The difference between "switching" and "exten

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

drjabberwocky23

The difference between "switching" and "exten

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Dear all,

I'd appreciate some advice regarding the above. I am currently in the UK on a HSMP visa which expires in late February 2009. I'm hoping to remain in the UK and qualify (points-wise) for the Tier 1 (General) Category.

I was looking through the application form and guidance and came across something that confused me (not that it necessarily takes very much to do that!). As a holder of a HSMP (not affected by the Judicial Review), will I be looking to extend my stay in the UK under the Tier 1 criteria, or will I be switching my stay into the Tier 1 criteria.

From this website, it appears as though I should be switching:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... s/#header1

BUT, according to the application form itself, it appears that I may be able to extend my visa instead.
Reference: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... onform.pdf
Please see Page 27 of this Document (Section 3 - Part A and Part C).

I'm very paranoid regarding these things (particularly when the Home Office is concerned) and would obviously not want my application declined purely on the basis that I ticked the wrong box on an application form resulting in the wrong sections of the form being completed.

I would appreciate advice from the members regarding this, and would particularly value any advice from those who were in a similar situation to me and have since had successful applications under the Tier 1 (General) category.

Thank you!

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi drjabberwocky23,

You will be applying for the extension requirement of Tier 1 (General), as HSMP scheme is no longer available.

As of now, since Tier 1 (General), is a new scheme (replacement of Point Based HSMP, and since this scheme is in effect for much less than 3 years, no one is entitled for renewal in Tier-1 yet), there is only one application form on the UKBA website.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,
NNJ10

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:56 pm

Thank you - much obliged NNJ10!

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Thanks for raising the question drjabber...

Fellow boarders/seniors..
i am in similar situation (confusion) BUT,
I am currently in UK on Work Permit Visa... I want to apply for Tier 1 (General) Category...
that is WP-->Tier1(General)

Question1:
Am i right in using the below application based on SWITCHING?? WP-->Tier1 General?

Application for initial entry (switching) or extension of stay within Tier 1 (General) - main applicant

(http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... onform.pdf)

Question2:
In Section 3 - Tier 1 (General) Details .........................................27

i understand that i should fill the below section 3A right? - Can i leave/ignore G and H (as i am not related HSMP nor MBA) and also leave Section 3B & 3C...

Section 3A - Initial Applications - Points Scoring Assessment ..........28

G. HSMP Forum Ltd. Judicial Review ............................................ 28
H. Master in Business Administration (MBA) Transitional Argmts .... 28
J. Age Assessment .................................................................... 29
K. Qualifications Assessment ...................................................... 30
L. Previous Earnings Assessment ................................................ 31
M. UK Experience Assessment .....................................................35

I understand this is the basic thing but as drjabber mentioned just clarifying the very minute doubts..

Thanks for your time....

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:31 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:
Question1:
Am i right in using the below application based on SWITCHING?? WP-->Tier1 General?

Application for initial entry (switching) or extension of stay within Tier 1 (General) - main applicant

Yes
tvn_ramesh wrote: Question2:
In Section 3 - Tier 1 (General) Details .........................................27

i understand that i should fill the below section 3A right? - Can i leave/ignore G and H (as i am not related HSMP nor MBA) and also leave Section 3B & 3C...
Correct
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

push
United Kingdom

Re: The difference between "switching" and "e

Post by push » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:34 pm

drjabberwocky23 wrote:Dear all,

I'd appreciate some advice regarding the above. I am currently in the UK on a HSMP visa which expires in late February 2009. I'm hoping to remain in the UK and qualify (points-wise) for the Tier 1 (General) Category.

I was looking through the application form and guidance and came across something that confused me (not that it necessarily takes very much to do that!). As a holder of a HSMP (not affected by the Judicial Review), will I be looking to extend my stay in the UK under the Tier 1 criteria, or will I be switching my stay into the Tier 1 criteria.

BUT, according to the application form itself, it appears that I may be able to extend my visa instead.

I'm very paranoid regarding these things (particularly when the Home Office is concerned) and would obviously not want my application declined purely on the basis that I ticked the wrong box on an application form resulting in the wrong sections of the form being completed.

I would appreciate advice from the members regarding this, and would particularly value any advice from those who were in a similar situation to me and have since had successful applications under the Tier 1 (General) category.

Thank you!
The info available on the website is a bit confusing and it appears to me that these two terms have been uses interchangeably. However the application form is a more structured one and if you follow its flow - you will fall under "An extension of leave within Tier 1 (General)"
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 pm

1.8.1 - Changing status on or after admission to the UK (switching) wrote:Only in certain very limited circumstances may people who have already been admitted to the UK for one purpose seek to change that purpose for another, e.g. for settlement after marriage or civil partnership. All others must leave the UK and make a fresh application for entry clearance (Paragraph 28 of the Rules). Applications for switching, where this is permitted, and requests for an extension of stay where leave to enter has expired (or is about to expire) can be made to the Public Caller Unit of the Home Office. Further information on changing status in the UK can be found on the UK Border Agency website.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:50 am

Thanks Push... and Vinny..

That's really a great relief to start on right track for SWITCHING from Workpermit (WP) to Tier 1 (General)...

Have a nice day
push_hsmp wrote:
tvn_ramesh wrote:
Question1:

Yes
tvn_ramesh wrote: Question2:

Correct

drjabberwocky23

Re: The difference between "switching" and "e

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:21 am

push_hsmp wrote:
drjabberwocky23 wrote:Dear all,

Thank you!
The info available on the website is a bit confusing and it appears to me that these two terms have been uses interchangeably. However the application form is a more structured one and if you follow its flow - you will fall under "An extension of leave within Tier 1 (General)"
Thanks push - it looks like I will be applying to "extend" my stay under Tier 1 then!

Ozziedude
Newly Registered

when can you apply?

Post by Ozziedude » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Hello all,

My original HSMP Visa began on 15 March 2007. I have been in the UK since april 2007.

My HSMP Visa expires on the 15 March 2009. I am looking at extending this visa (now called Tier 1) so I can continue working/living in the UK.

Few questions:
1. When can I apply for my extention?
2. Can I apply for my extention in the first week of January even if my HSMP doesn't expire until mid March? I ask this as I am planning on travelling in late February and require my Passport.
3. When I receive my extention to my HSMP (Tier 1), do I have to fly back to Australia? It seems to me a lot of people these days which have upgraded from Working Holiday to a Tier 1 have to fly back to their own country to get their passport stamped.

Many thanks for your help.

drjabberwocky23

Re: when can you apply?

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:08 pm

Ozziedude wrote:Hello all,

My original HSMP Visa began on 15 March 2007. I have been in the UK since april 2007.

My HSMP Visa expires on the 15 March 2009. I am looking at extending this visa (now called Tier 1) so I can continue working/living in the UK.

Few questions:
1. When can I apply for my extention?
2. Can I apply for my extention in the first week of January even if my HSMP doesn't expire until mid March? I ask this as I am planning on travelling in late February and require my Passport.
3. When I receive my extention to my HSMP (Tier 1), do I have to fly back to Australia? It seems to me a lot of people these days which have upgraded from Working Holiday to a Tier 1 have to fly back to their own country to get their passport stamped.

Many thanks for your help.
Hello Ozziedude.

There is no set time-frame for applying for your extension, as long as it's done before your existing visa expires! It is generally recommended that you submit your application approximately 5 weeks prior to the expiry of your visa.

If you need to travel or need your passport in the situation you describe, then you can apply for urgent consideration of your application, or submit your application early with a covering letter stating that you are planning to travel around the time of your visa expiry. You may need a copy of your booking confirmation or something like that as proof. If possible, it would be easiest not to travel so close to the time of your visa's expiry, but if you need to (e.g. for business, etc.) then you just have to go!

As you are already in the country under the HSMP scheme, you will not have to head back to Australia to re-enter the UK. As you are applying for an extension of your visa, you can submit an in-country application. The issue regarding the returning to your own country part is for certain categories of migrants who are NOT allowed to switch into the Tier 1 scheme inside the UK. They will then have to return home to submit a new application to enter. Fortunately, you can convert your HSMP into a Tier 1 visa without all that unnecessary hassle.