ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration to EU with Criminal Record.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Moo95
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Immigration to EU with Criminal Record.

Post by Moo95 » Wed May 01, 2024 12:37 pm

Hi everyone I’m new here, I am a British Citizen married to an EU citizen. I am looking for people with previous experience in a similar situation.

Some years ago
I was arrested and sent to court and duly convicted with Section 4 of the Public Order act. It was an out of character action resulting from severe trauma otherwise a perfectly clean record both prior and after.

My concern now is immigration to the EU and my chances of gaining even a residential permit. And if you could recommend a good Lawyer. So if anyone could shed some light on the subject it would be most appreciated.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Immigration to EU with Criminal Record.

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 01, 2024 1:18 pm

Your wife as EU citizen is your sponsor, so she can apply for you as non-EU spouse.
This is under EU regulations I would expect, so you both need to check what the requirements are in terms of "Good Character" (criminality etc). Not an expert in this, there may be further local requirements as you are a third country citizen. Best to check with the relevant EU consulate website as to the formalities required.

Note the forum rules don't allow members to post details of immigration advisors/lawyers and we don't promote or recommend any such organisations. In the unlikely event you need a lawyer it will probably have to be in the country you want to move to, and with your wife speaking the local language shouldn't be a problem. As I said unlikely because the rules are the rules so you will have to follow them. Lawyers generally cannot negotiate with the authorities.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Immigration to EU with Criminal Record.

Post by Angel99 » Wed May 01, 2024 3:04 pm

Moo95 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:37 pm
Hi everyone I’m new here, I am a British Citizen married to an EU citizen. I am looking for people with previous experience in a similar situation.

Some years ago
I was arrested and sent to court and duly convicted with Section 4 of the Public Order act. It was an out of character action resulting from severe trauma otherwise a perfectly clean record both prior and after.

My concern now is immigration to the EU and my chances of gaining even a residential permit. And if you could recommend a good Lawyer. So if anyone could shed some light on the subject it would be most appreciated.
Hi,

Most criminal records will not impact your emigration to EU especially Schengen area as a family member of EU citizen. Some EU countries do not even ask for this question on their Residence card application form.

In case it flags up during your application for a residence card, you will be given a chance to explain or review it.

You do not need a lawyer or legal representative until your application is denied which i highly doubt unless some serious crime like terrorism or serial killer.