ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leave UK before Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mrfaizankhan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Leave UK before Naturalisation

Post by mrfaizankhan » Tue May 07, 2024 10:43 am

Hi,

I have a query:

I got my ILR on 7th March 2024 and for naturalisation the requirement is that you need to be in UK exactly 12 months before the date of application and allowed absence time is 90 days.

7 Mar 2024 + 12 months - 90 days = "7 Dec 2024"

Can I leave UK on 8th Dec 2024 and then apply for naturalisation on 7th Mar 2025 ? As I am covering this 90 day absence period. Can I do that, if not then why not ?

Kindly advise.

Regards

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Leave UK before Naturalisation

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 07, 2024 10:49 am

You need to be in the UK on the day 5 years prior to when you apply - not 12 months. You are right about the maximum absence days being allowed in the last 12 months being 90. You need to be in the UK in order to apply for naturalisation so you would need to be back in the UK when you are submitting your application.

The absence you listed is of 89 days (not including days you are travelling).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

mrfaizankhan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mrfaizankhan » Tue May 07, 2024 11:13 am

Ok thanks, then following on:

Yes 7 Dec 2024 is the exact date, but I will be travelling on 31st Dec 2024 so this will give me a further margin.

- Can I apply while being outside the UK and only for biometrics I will come back for a couple of days ?
- Secondly in this case can I attach my foreign country Job payslips ?
- To show the ties I have a property on Mortgage which will be active for the next couple of years. So I think these things would be sufficient ?
- Lastly & importantly until I receive the Naturalisation result I can stay outside of UK right ? Like I don't need to be in UK to wait for a result.

Please advise

Regards

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 07, 2024 11:35 am

No. You need to be physically in the UK, not abroad, to submit your application. Once you attended the biometrics appointment you can travel abroad while you wait for the outcome. It would not look good on your application that you are working abroad so I really would discourage using that as evidence. Could you elaborate more on your situation? Do you usually reside in the UK or abroad? What is your overall absence situation in the qualifying period?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

mrfaizankhan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mrfaizankhan » Tue May 07, 2024 12:01 pm

My overall absense in the 5 years is total 30 days only as i travelled only once. And till 30 December 2024 I have no plans to spend time outside of UK.

To submit the application I belive that can be done from anywhere as its online (correct me if I am wrong) only for biometrics you need to be in UK.

I reside in the UK but my plan is to grab a Job outside of UK as soon as I qualify for the qualifying period i-e 31 Dec 2024. Because my employment is at risk here till the end of this year so I am looking outside for a backup.

When biometric is required I will come and do that and then will fly outside.

If this makes sense from qualifying period perspective ?

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 07, 2024 12:38 pm

You are required to declare all absence with dates in the form. You cannot do if you are abroad as you cannot put a future date in the form. You need to apply within the UK to provide truthful information.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mrfaizankhan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mrfaizankhan » Tue May 07, 2024 12:46 pm

Yes I agree future dates are not allowed (I am not applying in advance), I will be applying on 7th March 2025 (ILR date 7th Mar 2024) but will be leaving the country on 31 Dec 2024 so this gives me enough margin of allowed 90 days absense and in the day os submission I will travel to UK and then again for Biometrics, Oath and passport I will come

If you think otherwise ?

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue May 07, 2024 1:05 pm

Remember that one fundamental requirement to apply for British citizenship is to demonstrate your intention to make the UK as your principal home. It's sensible to avoid having extended absences from the country just before applying and then come to specifically submit the application, leave again and return to provide biometrics information.

Unsure how stringent is the HO conducting these checks but I'd avoid such moves or anything that might be flagged during the application assessment.

mrfaizankhan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mrfaizankhan » Tue May 07, 2024 1:18 pm

Yes, understood your point. Thank you all for clarification and points to take care of.

Regards

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 07, 2024 3:31 pm

As I and other people have stated multiple times you have to physically be in the UK on the day you apply. You can't do it from abroad. you have to be back at some point in March, even if just for a few days, apply, then be sure to attend biometrics. Afterwards you can travel. If you get employment abroad just before you apply for naturalisation that may potentially weaken your links to the UK and jeopardise the future intentions requirement (if you apply under Section 6(1)).

mrfaizankhan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mrfaizankhan » Tue May 07, 2024 6:45 pm

Thank you for the thorough response. Makes sense, I will make sure of this. Thanks very much

Regards