ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No surname on Indian Ppt - British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

balsingh
Newly Registered
India

No surname on Indian Ppt - British Passport

Post by balsingh » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:58 am

Hi,
My british passport application has been placed on hold whilst I have been asked to align my indian passport name as per my naturalization certificate and British Passport Application.

My indian ppt has Given Names as my full name ABC DEF. where, DEF is my last name. I have submitted all my previous UKVI apps as First name ABC and Last name DEF. Hence why my naturalisation certificate has my name as *DEF* ABC

My ask is - what have people done in the past for this? I can submit my surrender certificate application form, a covering letter to explain the situation that I can no longer renew my indian passport as I am a British Citizen and the indian constitution does not allow dual citizenship.

What have others done in the past to work around this issue? Any help is appreciated

bobcat
Newly Registered
India

Re: No surname on Indian Ppt - British Passport

Post by bobcat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:37 pm

As per my due diligence (because I’ll be in a similar situation should my naturalisation application be approved) this is what I could gather. HMPO’s systems doesn’t allow surname field to be blank so they usually mention your given name as surname and put an xxx under given/first name. Others with experience can comment obviously.

1. Submit the application for surrender of Indian passport and print the acknowledgement of application of surrender.

2. Then change your name as desired (first name: ABC, last name: DEF) using an unenrolled deed poll. You only need 2 witnesses to sign them and there are many online templates available to execute them.

3 Then submit the printed acknowledgement per 1 and the deedpoll per 2 plus a cover letter explaining all these facts and append evidences(DVLA, payslips, bank statements etc) which shows they already have your first name, last name in the desired order

I have gathered that this usually works but would again reiterate the caveat that this is all based on what I read.

I also note that some people go the extra mile i.e they get the first passport as first name XXX surname ABC DEF, then execute the deed poll and then reapply for passport under the Desired name explaining all this.

Best if luck and do keep us all updated on what eventually worked.

balsingh
Newly Registered
India

Post by balsingh » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:56 pm

Thanks bobcat.
General question: How do I write my name on the deed poll? Does “Abc DEF” work? or is there a specific format to use?
Also, Do you happen to know if anyone can sign the deed poll?
I am about to send over the three docs back on Friday. Will keep updates posted.

bobcat
Newly Registered
India

Post by bobcat » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:23 pm

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

The above URL might help answer some of the question on format and witnesses. Keep everyone posted!

balsingh
Newly Registered
India

Post by balsingh » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:32 pm

Hi, thanks.
Can confirm that I have now received my british passport as per my name in my application.
I sent a copy of my surrender certificate and handwritten cover letter explaining the circumstances that I cannot renew my indian passport to align names as India does not allow dual citizenship.
I did not do a Name Change Deed as I was advised by the HMPO that I do not need it as i have changed my name already by submitting a new name for my passport application and it aligns with naturalization certificate.
Got it within 2days after delivery of evidence back.

bobcat
Newly Registered
India

Post by bobcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:42 pm

Good to hear and congratulations!

asingh42
United Kingdom

Post by asingh42 » Wed May 08, 2024 4:29 pm

balsingh wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:32 pm
Hi, thanks.
Can confirm that I have now received my british passport as per my name in my application.
I sent a copy of my surrender certificate and handwritten cover letter explaining the circumstances that I cannot renew my indian passport to align names as India does not allow dual citizenship.
I did not do a Name Change Deed as I was advised by the HMPO that I do not need it as i have changed my name already by submitting a new name for my passport application and it aligns with naturalization certificate.
Got it within 2days after delivery of evidence back.
Hi could you explain the process please, need to apply for my wife's passport, she has received her Citizenship certificate. Also has Given name as both first name and surname on her Indian Passport.