ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Home student criteria for skilled worker visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rnaidu
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Home student criteria for skilled worker visa

Post by rnaidu » Sun May 12, 2024 1:22 pm

Hi all, I came into the UK with a Tier2 ICT visa in 2018 and shifted to Skilled Woker in 2022, its more than 6 years that we have been in the country. My son will need to start university from Sep 2025, could he considered a Home Student? Desperately looking for an answer please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Home student criteria for skilled worker visa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:48 pm

He needs settled status, ie ILR as one of the criteria to be considered home fees as student.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/el ... n-england/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rnaidu
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by rnaidu » Sun May 12, 2024 2:44 pm

Thanks for your prompt response. I just spoke to Student Finance Support, they mentioned that universities decide whether my son will be considered a home or international student. But, one thing is clear that he'll not be eligitble for a loan from what you have mentioned regarding settled status. I just need him to be considered as a home student, I'll somehow try to organise the fees, as international fees are 3 times more

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:06 pm

rnaidu wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 2:44 pm
I just need him to be considered as a home student
He needs settled status for that (at least in England - haven't checked rules for other places), as stated in the link provided:
Generally, individuals must be resident and ‘settled’ in the UK on ‘the first day of the academic year’ for which they are paying fees to be eligible for home student status.
He will be able to switch the status to home student once he obtains settled status it seems, but as you switched to Skilled worker visa in 2022, he would need to wait until 2027 at least to apply for ILR.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 13, 2024 1:09 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.