ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Evidencing Past Earnings - Please advise!!!!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aussie123
Newly Registered

Evidencing Past Earnings - Please advise!!!!

Post by aussie123 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Hello All

I would like to consider applying for a UK work permit under tier 1. I am currently working full time as an Engineer in Australia, and with the exchange rate falling against the Australian dollar I might be in with a chance in the not to distant future of having enough points from salary along with my Bachelors degree. However I do have a couple of issues that need resolving:

(1) With respect to using payslips and/or using a letter from your employer, you have to submit your employer’s contact details for salary verification. I would not feel comfortable about this at all – this is a bit like asking your current employer to act as a referee to another employer whilst I am still engaged in active employment. I would not be comfortable divulging my emigration plans to my existing employer for the same reasons you don’t tell your employer you are searching for alternative work. How does one approach this issue or work around this – it would appear to be a mandatory requirement? Why isn’t this an issue for others applying under this category – how are others dealing with this? Do you have to use payslips and/or a letter from your employer? If someone could please provide advice to this effect that would be very helpful to me!!!

My intention would be to keep my existing job in case the application failed, and even after the work permit is granted so I could try and find a job before coming to the UK. I am aware there is a 6 month deadline after approval, but I would like to try and land a job first during this window with the advantage of having the work permit in hand. The last resort would be to simply resign and enter prior to the permit expiring.

For the evidence, the payslips are electronic but I can simply print them out on company letterhead which is laying around the office. As for the verification letter, I can print this out and have my boss sign it telling him its for a loan or something. But if UK immigration calls my existing employer that wouldn’t be so invisible.

(2) Is superannuation counted as part of your earnings? This is shown on payslips but isn’t shown on my bank account statements as this is paid into a super fund. Do we have to provide two pieces of evidence for every component of our earnings?

(3) Providing bank account statements. Bank account statements will only show after tax earnings and will not show superannuation as well. If you can provide a tax return or payslips (alternative evidence) which show the before tax earnings and what other components were taken out before it was paid to the account, will the officer take the trouble (or be bright enough) to come to the understanding that the bank account payments don’t reflect total past earnings?

Any advice anyone could provide in respect to the above would be really helpful! Thanks… :D

jack_p

Re: Evidencing Past Earnings - Please advise!!!!

Post by jack_p » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:40 am

aussie123 wrote: (1) How does one approach this issue or work around this – it would appear to be a mandatory requirement? Why isn’t this an issue for others applying under this category – how are others dealing with this? Do you have to use payslips and/or a letter from your employer?

(2) Is superannuation counted as part of your earnings? This is shown on payslips but isn’t shown on my bank account statements as this is paid into a super fund. Do we have to provide two pieces of evidence for every component of our earnings?

(3) Providing bank account statements. Bank account statements will only show after tax earnings and will not show superannuation as well. If you can provide a tax return or payslips (alternative evidence) which show the before tax earnings and what other components were taken out before it was paid to the account, will the officer take the trouble (or be bright enough) to come to the understanding that the bank account payments don’t reflect total past earnings?
Thre is no other workaround. The caseworker will need to verify the information and they WILL contact the employer. Many of us do face the same issue, but guess there wouldn't any severe consequences as you have stated. In my case, I have given the contact details of the payroll department and not the HR. I'm quite sure that the payroll doesn't get silly enough to report this to my reporting manager, espescially in a company that employs 55000 people.

The earnings in the payslip(s) MUST match the number given in the bank statement. As you have stated, its better to produce two sets of evidence to be on the safer side.

Tax papers are not required, but if you have them, you may submit.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:53 am

jack_p wrote: As you have stated, its better to produce two sets of evidence to be on the safer side.

It is not merely better but mandatory to provide two independent evidences to confirm your gross earnings. That does not, however, mean that you need to provide two evidences for each and every component on your salary slip. If your salary slip shows gross amount (which needs to be used for arriving at the points claimed for Earnings) and net amount and the same net amount is corroborated by credits to your bank account as demonstrated by the Bank Statements your are good.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

aussie123
Newly Registered

Evidencing Earnings

Post by aussie123 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks that is some very useful advice. If anyone else out there can also tell me of their experience (or suggestions) on the issue of using a current employer for salary verification that would also be helpful. Maybe if the boss becomes aware of it you just have to be fank and say I might be off to the UK in the future (maybe they might start being a bit nicer to me :D )

My company uses electronic payslips. Can I simply print these out on company letter head (with the company logo) on it? Is this acceptable?

I do believe Superannuation is taxed in Australia, but it is paid directly into a managed superannuation fund (or mutual fund I think it is called in the US). They are not like normal bank accounts. The super component is shown on the payslip. But to provide the second piece of evidence for the super annuation, I could probably get the super fund company to send me the transactions on the account showing the additions with each pay to it - would this suffice?

Thanks in advance....

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:52 pm

The super component is shown on the payslip
Does the Gross Salary amount as shown on your Salary Slip includes Superannuation? I think it would be.

if that is the case then as long as the net amount as shown on the Salary Slips matches with the amount on the Bank Statements of your account to which the Salary is credited then you do not need to worry about statements from your superannuation fund manager (because if you do so then why not procure similar evidence for all other outgoings like Tax, your matching contribution towards superannuation, contribution towards say stock purchase plans etc.).

The idea is, you need Salary Slips to show the Gross Salary amount and the net Salary amount (which is tallied with amount credited to your Salary Account).
regards,
push

immaad

superannuation

Post by immaad » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Hello, my salary slip shows gross/net salary separate and employer contribution separate? Is it acceptable ?

paulmu

Post by paulmu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Firstly, if you are fully employed at present, I would recommend that you stay where you are until the economic landscape changes for the better here in the UK.

Secondly, your super is not counted as salary for the purpose of the application - only your gross salary is used (which does not include super).

Thirdly, the exchange rate that you use for each of the 12 consecutive months would vary and is the value quoted on the date your salary was credited to you.

Lastly, I think it would be best if you simply let HR know that HMRC may be in contact with them regarding your salary with the employer. If you have electronic payslips, then you will need to engage HR to stamp each printed copies.
PM

republique
BANNED

Re: Evidencing Earnings

Post by republique » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:08 pm

aussie123 wrote:Thanks that is some very useful advice. If anyone else out there can also tell me of their experience (or suggestions) on the issue of using a current employer for salary verification that would also be helpful. Maybe if the boss becomes aware of it you just have to be fank and say I might be off to the UK in the future (maybe they might start being a bit nicer to me :D )

My company uses electronic payslips. Can I simply print these out on company letter head (with the company logo) on it? Is this acceptable?

I do believe Superannuation is taxed in Australia, but it is paid directly into a managed superannuation fund (or mutual fund I think it is called in the US). They are not like normal bank accounts. The super component is shown on the payslip. But to provide the second piece of evidence for the super annuation, I could probably get the super fund company to send me the transactions on the account showing the additions with each pay to it - would this suffice?

Thanks in advance....
First of all the HO doesn't check all applications with employment verification. If your documentation is good, then there isn't any need for them to call the employer to verify it.
Second, the HO is not so naive to call employers stating checking up on your employee's details so he can stop working for you.
Third, Employment verification is done for numerous reasons-credit checks for rentals or property purchases, not just for change of employment so to be so paranoid, that the HO makes employment verfication.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:14 pm

republique wrote:
aussie123 wrote:Thanks that is some very useful advice. If anyone else out there can also tell me of their experience (or suggestions) on the issue of using a current employer for salary verification that would also be helpful. Maybe if the boss becomes aware of it you just have to be fank and say I might be off to the UK in the future (maybe they might start being a bit nicer to me :D )

Thanks in advance....
First of all the HO doesn't check all applications with employment verification. If your documentation is good, then there isn't any need for them to call the employer to verify it.
Second, the HO is not so naive to call employers stating checking up on your employee's details so he can stop working for you.
Third, Employment verification is done for numerous reasons-credit checks for rentals or property purchases, not just for change of employment so to be so paranoid, that the HO makes employment verfication.
First - just on that supposition one can not "not worry" about the potential contact for verification. If the evidence provided is credible (to be judged by the case worker) the probability of verification checks is low (but not zero)
Second & Third- HO discloses the purpose of verification query

I think the applicant will be better off disclosing it to his boss and providing his contacts in the application.
regards,
push

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:07 am

push_hsmp wrote: I think the applicant will be better off disclosing it to his boss and providing his contacts in the application.
Is it Ok to give the details of my reporting Regional Manger (he is under VP) and my manager knows all my details like

1. My Date of Employement
2. About my work in the company
3. Annual salary and per month
4. Recent changes in the salary etc..

Actually what other queries or questions do the HO ask the employer?

Why i am asking is (may be repeated) i can not give my VP HR details as she is always travelling and very new..

Our Payroll is done by 3rd party company Pesters - Do i need to give the details of their Accountant who coordinates our monthly salary payment or Manager's details are enough??

I can give my Manager above details written clearly so that he can respond when somebody calls him from HO

Thanks again

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:48 am

Guys..

Any Suggestions on the below query??

Will highly appreciate it...
push_hsmp wrote: I think the applicant will be better off disclosing it to his boss and providing his contacts in the application.
Is it Ok to give the details of my reporting Regional Manger (he is under VP) and my manager knows all my details like

1. My Date of Employement
2. About my work in the company
3. Annual salary and per month
4. Recent changes in the salary etc..

Actually what other queries or questions do the HO ask the employer?

Why i am asking is (may be repeated) i can not give my VP HR details as she is always travelling and very new..

Our Payroll is done by 3rd party company Pesters - Do i need to give the details of their Accountant who coordinates our monthly salary payment or Manager's details are enough??

I can give my Manager above details written clearly so that he can respond when somebody calls him from HO

Thanks again

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:36 am

tvn_ramesh wrote:Guys..

Any Suggestions on the below query??

Will highly appreciate it...

Thanks again
No
Evidently I am paranoid

tvn_ramesh