ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Nationality (Irish Citizens) Bill

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

secret.simon

British Nationality (Irish Citizens) Bill

Post by secret.simon » Fri May 17, 2024 10:46 pm

I must confess that this Private Members Bill was not something I was aware of till today.

It is a Private Members Bill (so introduced by individual Members of the Commons or or the House of Lords, not by the government), but which has government backing. Indeed it was prepared by the Home Office, "with the consent of Lord Hay of Ballyore, the Member in Charge of the Bill", which is very unusual for a Private Members Bill. Normally a PMB needs to be written by the Member themselves, with the help of their own lawyers.

It has already passed all stages in the Commons and had its Second Reading in the Lords today.

It is a very simple Bill and adds a special route for Irish citizens residing in the UK to register as British citizens.

Currently Irish citizens need to naturalise as British citizens, which means having to do an LITUK test and English language test and meet the usual absence and physical presence requirements.

The Bill preserves the five year absence and good character requirements, but dispenses with LITUK and English language tests and a physical presence requirement.

So Irish citizens will have a simpler and slightly cheaper pathway to British citizenship than the current naturalisation process.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: British Nationality (Irish Citizens) Bill

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 11:41 am

Perhaps a silly question, but if one is an Irish citizen, isn't the English language requirement automatically satisfied by producing an Irish passport? Nice to waive the requirement, but it was automatically satisfied to my eyes already.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 20, 2024 7:27 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 11:41 am
Perhaps a silly question, but if one is an Irish citizen, isn't the English language requirement automatically satisfied by producing an Irish passport? Nice to waive the requirement, but it was automatically satisfied to my eyes already.
Not all Irish citizens are Irish born. There are 1000's from the many non English speaking countries who have naturalised.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 21, 2024 1:01 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:27 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
Not all Irish citizens are Irish born. There are 1000's from the many non English speaking countries who have naturalised.
Agreed, but I thought the requirement was satisfied by showing a passport of a majority English speaking country, regardless of where one is born or their path to citizenship.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue May 21, 2024 12:51 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:01 am
CR001 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:27 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
Agreed, but I thought the requirement was satisfied by showing a passport of a majority English speaking country, regardless of where one is born or their path to citizenship.
I agree with this. Many Americans, Canadians are immigrants. The passport suffices regardless of origin history.

I believe it's just one of those things they add to beef up the bill. Like residency even though if they were in their home country, they'd still be in the CTA. But yeah I know they could also easily be anywhere in the world.

Let me digress, if a Brit needs to school in the US, he/she might need to do Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), even though it's not foreign to an "English" person!

Life and policies could be weird like that.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!