ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for Baby born after I have received ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

singhyuvraj
Newly Registered
India

British Passport for Baby born after I have received ILR

Post by singhyuvraj » Sat May 18, 2024 11:17 pm

Hi,

I wanted to reach out to understand the process of applying for British passport for my baby.

Baby will be born after I recieve my ILR. In this case, as I understand the baby will have automatic British citizenship.

When I go and apply for the British passport online, it doesnt ask for the ILR details at all as evidence of being settled- instead it is asking for grandparent details.

Is there a separate process to apply in such cases? Or am I missing any step.

Kindly help.

secret.simon

Re: British Passport for Baby born after I have received ILR

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 18, 2024 11:32 pm

singhyuvraj wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:17 pm
Baby will be born after I recieve my ILR. In this case, as I understand the baby will have automatic British citizenship.
Only if born in the UK.
singhyuvraj wrote:
When I go and apply for the British passport online, it doesnt ask for the ILR details at all as evidence of being settled- instead it is asking for grandparent details.
Apply as usual and attach proof of your ILR status (your ILR BRP) and the child's British birth certificate, which should be postdating your ILR BRP. HMPO know the rules and this is a fairly common scenario.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 12:35 pm

I would add, if you ever apply for British citizenship and are successful, take steps to make a certified copy or keep the original of your BRP as it will be documentary proof of your child's entitlement to British citizenship that they may need again in life. The HO asks newly minted citizens to return the cut BRP or face a fine, to our knowledge though this doesn't happen often and not having the BRP due to following this rule has caused applicants issues down the line.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

singhyuvraj
Newly Registered
India

Post by singhyuvraj » Tue May 21, 2024 8:49 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:32 pm
singhyuvraj wrote:
Only if born in the UK.
singhyuvraj wrote:
Apply as usual and attach proof of your ILR status (your ILR BRP) and the child's British birth certificate, which should be postdating your ILR BRP. HMPO know the rules and this is a fairly common scenario.
Thanks. This helps a lot

singhyuvraj
Newly Registered
India

Post by singhyuvraj » Tue May 21, 2024 8:49 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 12:35 pm
I would add, if you ever apply for British citizenship and are successful, take steps to make a certified copy or keep the original of your BRP as it will be documentary proof of your child's entitlement to British citizenship that they may need again in life. The HO asks newly minted citizens to return the cut BRP or face a fine, to our knowledge though this doesn't happen often and not having the BRP due to following this rule has caused applicants issues down the line.
Thank you. Will keep in mind

singhyuvraj
Newly Registered
India

Post by singhyuvraj » Tue May 21, 2024 8:51 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:32 pm
singhyuvraj wrote:
Only if born in the UK.
singhyuvraj wrote:
Thanks simon. Can I just confirm that there is no need of a MN1 certificate in this case.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:04 am

As child is British automatically through you holding ILR there’s no point applying for citizenship (MN1), can’t anyway.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

singhyuvraj
Newly Registered
India

Post by singhyuvraj » Tue May 21, 2024 9:22 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:04 am
As child is British automatically through you holding ILR there’s no point applying for citizenship (MN1), can’t anyway.
Thanks. Thats clear.