ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First british passport query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Morobek
South Africa

First british passport query

Post by Morobek » Sat May 18, 2024 8:46 am

Hello! When applying for a first British passport, If HMPO loses your documents (foreign passport and certificate) before they are able to scan it as received, and you need to resubmit, do you need to apply for a replacement of the foreign passport befor another application? Or would it be considered a “cancelled passport” because it’s lost?

Not sure if my question makes sense?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: First british passport query

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 18, 2024 8:59 am

If it's lost it's lost.... whilst documents are lost sometimes it is relatively rare, considering HMPO processes thousands of applications every month.
Note that what HMPO is after is the original, not just for taking a copy, but but checking that names are consistent and also examining the document, including paper, printing and security markings. So a lost passport doesn't count. Note that a foreign passport is not a legal requirement to get a BP, people do loose theirs in between processes. You would need to check with HMPO what they would accept, in the unlikely event of loss.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: First british passport query

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 11:37 am

Morobek wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 8:46 am
Hello! When applying for a first British passport, If HMPO loses your documents (foreign passport and certificate) before they are able to scan it as received, and you need to resubmit, do you need to apply for a replacement of the foreign passport befor another application? Or would it be considered a “cancelled passport” because it’s lost?

Not sure if my question makes sense?
I would say apply for passport and cross that bridge if you get there.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.