ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

start and end dates at university

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

moneypenny

start and end dates at university

Post by moneypenny » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:38 pm

I actually sent in my application on the 30th of December but I am a bit worried about the start and end dates of my masters. I found a letter from my university stating the start date in September 2005 for a year. So I know that the date I put to start is correct.

I am not so sure about the end date, as I had the day I turned in my dissertation (late August 2006), the date I got confirmation that I would graduate, "subject to final ratification by the Senatus (which should be assumed)" (early Nov 2006) and the date of graduation (late Nov 2006). I used my graduation date as I believe that is the date that my studies technically ended, just in case something had happened with the Senatus.

Was I right to put the graduation date? I have the original letter from early November confirming that I would graduate subject to the Senatus, should I send that to the HO just to make sure? I just don't want to get caught out on something stupid and little. There was no guidance about what dates to use. Everyone I asked, including an advisor here in Scotland seemed to think that it was fine to use the graduation date.

Cheers for the help,

moneypenny

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:29 pm

I think you did the right thing. You were still officially a student until you graduated, so the date on your certificate is the right one to use. I'm sure you'll be fine.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:01 pm

The date when you graduate (in this case late Nov 2006) is the one that should be used.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

moneypenny

Post by moneypenny » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:24 pm

Thank you both you have put my mind at ease!

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:03 pm

For the exact start date and end dates of courses at the univ,, i think it would be good to use the Transfer/conduct certificates that are provided by the educational institutes where they mention the date joined the institution and date of releaving from the insitution,,, can be used as the respective dates...

please correct me gents if i am wrong...

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 pm

Not all Universities issue Transfer/conduct certificates but every university awards the degree certificate which happens to be an approved evidence per HO.
regards,
push

moneypenny

Post by moneypenny » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:39 pm

Exactly, my university never issued a transfer/conduct certificate... I never got anything with a definite end date on it. Hence my confusion!

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Thats why its better to stick to date of award of degree.
regards,
push

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:59 pm

push_hsmp wrote:Not all Universities issue Transfer/conduct certificates but every university awards the degree certificate which happens to be an approved evidence per HO.
But the problem with the degree certificate is that it shows the degree awarded Month and year ONLY not the date.. and in the application it asks for DDMMYYYY.. so how should we go with the date here??

Hope it is OK to use the Start date and End date mentioned in the Transfer Certificate, but why i ask is ,the End date is NOT matching with the Degree awarded Month Year??

Is that OK??? to use the transfer certificate dates sending the Transfer certificate as proof/evidence??

Thanks for your time guys..

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:22 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote: But the problem with the degree certificate is that it shows the degree awarded Month and year ONLY not the date.. and in the application it asks for DDMMYYYY.. so how should we go with the date here??

Hope it is OK to use the Start date and End date mentioned in the Transfer Certificate, but why i ask is ,the End date is NOT matching with the Degree awarded Month Year??

Is that OK??? to use the transfer certificate dates sending the Transfer certificate as proof/evidence??

Thanks for your time guys..
usually the awarding body/syndicate/authorised signatory puts a Degree Awarding date besides the signature block.

Solution:
In my opinion this is a trivial issue (unless you are using an extended period for Earnings due to a full time study during the last 12 months)

(1) You may use the date on your last/final transcript OR
(2) Use mid of the month date and clarify the same in your cover letter

If the date in TC and month+year in your degree are very different you are better off not using the TC and avoiding unnecessary complexity (I mean consider above options).
Last edited by push on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards,
push

moneypenny

Post by moneypenny » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:23 pm

In your case I would think so. If it says end date and the document is issued from the university then the HO can't really argue with that. Still send the degree certificate though.
My degree actually does have a date, month and year. I only have one other possible end date mentioned, but it was conditional, hence why I decided to use the degree date.