ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Timeline to British Citizen application for applicant with British Citizen Spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nightingale66
Newly Registered
Mood:
England

Timeline to British Citizen application for applicant with British Citizen Spouse

Post by Nightingale66 » Sat May 25, 2024 8:15 pm

Dear Esteemed Members,

I will be very grateful if you can help with this query. I have a sneaky feeling that this may have been answered elsewhere but the site is such a huge one that it is sometimes difficult to navigate for answers.

I will be due for ILR by early next year based on the calculation from first issuance of Leave to Remain.

My spouse is a British Citizen and I also have children who are citizens.

My question is this:

1. Do I need to wait for 12 months of ILR before applying for citizenship?

2. If no, then what is the waiting period on ILR before any application?

I am really grateful for your kind and helpful responses.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Timeline to British Citizen application for applicant with British Citizen Spouse

Post by CR001 » Sat May 25, 2024 8:19 pm

Your visa route qualifying period starts from the date you entered the UK on a family visa. If you switched to family route within the UK, only then does it start from visa issue date.
1. Do I need to wait for 12 months of ILR before applying for citizenship?
No, provided you meet the 3 year residence, absence and physically present at the start of the qualifying period requirements.
2. If no, then what is the waiting period on ILR before any application?
There isn't any for a spouse of British citizen!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.