ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SAR for died British Citizen

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amjadleeds
Member of Standing

SAR for died British Citizen

Post by amjadleeds » Tue May 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Hi everyone ,

I hope you are keeping well, One of my relative would like to apply Passport based on Dad was British citizen, but died back in 1997, and he has only passport of his dad, from UK,
How he can check that his dad registered his family here, or get immigration record, Anyone know the process will be great help,
Thanks
Amjad

alterhase58
Germany

Re: SAR for died British Citizen

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 28, 2024 5:08 pm

What was his dad's history in the UK?
How did he obtain British citizenship, through naturalisation?
If it was through naturalisation then a copy of the naturalisation certificate may be obtainable from either the National Archives or from the Home Office, depending on the date it was granted. That would be absolute proof of his dad's citizenship.
A passport alone is not conclusive proof.

National Archives: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hel ... tizenship/
UKVI Certificate copies: https://www.gov.uk/get-replacement-citi ... ertificate
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 28, 2024 5:58 pm

The Home Office (and other departments of state) store information only for limited periods of time. So a SAR for a person who died in 1997 will get very few to no results.

The onus of preserving immigration records is on the applicant/individual, not the government department.

I agree with @alterhase58 that your relative should check with the National Archives for either a birth certificate (if their father was born in the UK before 1983), or a registration certificate (before 1983) or naturalisation certificate (after 1983) of the father.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 29, 2024 2:31 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 5:58 pm
The onus of preserving immigration records is on the applicant/individual, not the government department.
How will that work with digital only records?
secret.simon wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:10 pm
I dread to think of the future where ILR status is digital. In fifty years time, it would be impossible to prove.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.