ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time spent outside UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wasabi22
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

10 year ILR - being on current immigration route for 12 months

Post by wasabi22 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:47 pm

Can anyone offer some clarity on the language used in the 10 year ILR guidance VS. the language used on the government website. Do I need to be on my current visa/permission for 1 year? Or do I need to be on my current immigration route for 1 year?

On the .gov website, it states:
"You’ll usually need to have held your current permission for one year."

But in the long residence guidance, it states:
"The applicant must also have had permission on their current immigration route for at least 12 months on the date of application or have been exempt from immigration
control within the 12 months immediately before the date of application. This requirement does not apply where the applicant’s current permission was granted before 11 April 2024."

I was on a Skilled Worker visa prior to April 11, 2024. But I switched employers after April 11, 2024, and I got a new Skilled Worker visa. Do I need to be on my current visa for 12 months? Or will the time I spent on the previous Skilled Worker visa count towards the 12 months? I have remained on the same immigration route throughout. Following the guidance, it seems they are targeting the length spent on the immigration route, not the length spent on the current visa itself.

I am not eligible for the 5 year ILR, as I have not spent 5 years on a work visa.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: 10 year ILR - being on current immigration route for 12 months

Post by zimba » Wed May 15, 2024 7:06 pm

Yes it clearly says 'current immigration route"
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

wasabi22
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by wasabi22 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:27 pm

Thanks

Yes to what exactly? I need to spend 12 months on my current visa? OR;

I need to spend 12 months on the Skilled Worker immigration route (albeit on multiple Skilled Worker visas)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:52 pm

wasabi22 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:27 pm
Thanks

Yes to what exactly? I need to spend 12 months on my current visa? OR;

I need to spend 12 months on the Skilled Worker immigration route (albeit on multiple Skilled Worker visas)?
Your visa ROUTE is Skilled Worker. Who and how many employers you have had is irrelevant!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wasabi22
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by wasabi22 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:25 pm

Great, thanks both! I'll apply for the 10 year ILR once I've been on the Skilled Worker route (my current route) for 12 months.

wasabi22
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Time spent outside UK

Post by wasabi22 » Tue May 28, 2024 6:00 pm

Hey all! Could someone who has been in the same situation please help with this.

I am about to apply for 10 year ILR

In 2019 I left the UK before my visa expired.

A couple days later, my visa expired while I was in my home country.

I then got for a new visa an re-enter the UK. I arrived back in the UK about 2 months after I left.

I am aware that continuous residence was not broken. But do the 2 months count towards the 10 years?

The guidance states that the applicant must have held permission for the entire 10 year duration. I did not have permission for the 2 months I was in my home country.

Do I have to wait an additional 2 months before I can apply for 10 year ILR? (i.e. total duration will be 10 years and 2 months) OR do I count the 2 months as part of the 10 years (i.e. total duration will be 10 years)?

Anyone that has been in the same situation and has received the outcome of their application, please advise!

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Time spent outside UK

Post by zimba » Wed May 29, 2024 10:10 am

Yes, those two months will count as you left with a valid visa and returned within 6 months.
Search for Example 2: specific to Appendix Long Residence

Continuous residence guidance: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... dence.pdfå
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice