ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When can my wife apply for ILR after I become a citizen

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sawan007
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

When can my wife apply for ILR after I become a citizen

Post by sawan007 » Fri May 31, 2024 1:08 pm

I have applied for Naturalization and hopefully will become a British national soon. My wife is currently on a partner visa. When can she apply for ILR?

secret.simon

Re: When can my wife apply for ILR after I become a citizen

Post by secret.simon » Fri May 31, 2024 1:16 pm

Your becoming a British citizen has no impact on her immigration journey. She needs to meet all the requirements of the immigration journey that she is on.

Assuming that she is on a family member of a person settled in the UK visa, she needs to complete five years on that visa, LITUK test, English language test, etc, before applying for ILR.

The only advantage that she will have is that she can apply for naturalisation immediately after getting ILR and not wait for a year after ILR, as she will be married to a British citizen at the time.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sawan007
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Re: When can my wife apply for ILR after I become a citizen

Post by sawan007 » Fri May 31, 2024 3:58 pm

Thanks for your reply. She spent nearly 2 years on Skilled Worker dependent visa before switching to Partner visa. I am hoping the current rule changes and those 2 year also gets counted.