ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Child Benefit - Parent got ILR, child still dependant on GTV

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Azm9
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Claiming Child Benefit - Parent got ILR, child still dependant on GTV

Post by Azm9 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:27 am

Hi everyone,

I have just received my ILR after staying for 3 years on the Global Talent Visa. My wife and children are still on the dependant visa of my previous GTV until 2026. Their BRPs indicated "No Public Fund".
My youngest child was born in the UK two years ago, while my other children were born abroad.

My questions are:
1- Will I be able to claim child benefits for my children now, or do I need to wait until they get their ILR?
2- Can I register my youngest child, born in the UK before I got the ILR, as a British citizen now?
3- If I claim child benefits for all/any of my children now, will that affect my citizen application later?
4- If my income exceeds 50K (my wife does not work), can I claim any other benefits (e.g. UC)?
5- If I can claim UC (or any other benefits) for me and my family members, will that affect my citizen application or theirs?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

vinny

Re: Claiming Child Benefit - Parent got ILR, child still dependant on GTV

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:11 am

1- If you are the claimant, then probably yes.
2- UK born child is entitled to register.
3- If you claim what you are entitled to claim in your own right, then this should have no impact on other applications.
4- Doubtful.
5- Check with DWP. Always disclose your family’s full circumstances truthfully and keep records of forms, disclosures and correspondence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Azm9
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Azm9 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:40 pm

Thank you Vinny for your reply.

However, I am not so clear about whether with my ILR I can claim CB for my NRPF children without any issues. You said probably yes, but I want to be sure about this before doing anything.
I have seen the following document in one of the replies in this forum, but I am unsure if that is still the case as this letter was in 2018.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... sthrough=1

How do I confirm that claiming CB in this case will not violate any regulation and will not affect future citizenship applications for me and/or my children?
Should I contact HO, CA, ..?

Many thanks again for your help.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:08 pm

See also Amber’s post.

Get written confirmation?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.