ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Application Delays: What's Going On?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

safdari_peyman
Newly Registered
Iran

British Citizenship Application Delays: What's Going On?

Post by safdari_peyman » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:21 pm

I've been closely tracking the British citizenship timeline for the past couple of months, eagerly awaiting a response to my straightforward application submitted in January 2024. Interestingly, I've observed a significant reduction in the number of reported outcomes recently. Whereas previously we would see upwards of 15-20 outcomes every Monday, now it's dwindled to just 3-4.

This has led me to wonder: could the early general election have negatively impacted this process? Or are there other factors at play contributing to this slowdown?
Every day of delay adds immense pressure on all of us, myself included.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: British Citizenship Application Delays: What's Going On?

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:35 pm

The general election has only been announced 10 days ago, unlikely to have had already an effect on applications (and it should be unlikely to have any effect on citizenship applications at all).
We don't know the inner workings of the HO - how many caseworkers they have, or even how many people who do apply come back on the forum to report their outcome. This is of course assuming that numbers of applicants are constant, which may not be (I don't know about the most recent stats, but Brexit certainly affected number of applicants).

Also just a reminder that there is no such thing as a "straightforward" application - each application is looked at individually, on a different timeline, and assessed on its own merit, and there are multiple checks to be conducted for each applicant. there are actions you can pursue once you have been waiting for longer than 6 months for an outcome, vut until then it is best to be patient and try not to overthink it too much.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

safdari_peyman
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by safdari_peyman » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:59 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:35 pm
The general election has only been announced 10 days ago, unlikely to have had already an effect on applications (and it should be unlikely to have any effect on citizenship applications at all).
We don't know the inner workings of the HO - how many caseworkers they have, or even how many people who do apply come back on the forum to report their outcome. This is of course assuming that numbers of applicants are constant, which may not be (I don't know about the most recent stats, but Brexit certainly affected number of applicants).

Also just a reminder that there is no such thing as a "straightforward" application - each application is looked at individually, on a different timeline, and assessed on its own merit, and there are multiple checks to be conducted for each applicant. there are actions you can pursue once you have been waiting for longer than 6 months for an outcome, vut until then it is best to be patient and try not to overthink it too much.
Thank you, contorted_svy, for your quick reply. I've noticed "straightforward" and "assessed on its own merit" in various posts. However, I'm certain you'll agree that a case where the individual arrived in the UK legally, without any breaches of immigration or legal matters, not even a traffic penalty, should not be considered complicated.

Due to my job, I'm familiar with statistics, and it's evident that the number of application output reports has drastically decreased since last week. Typically, the population of people who apply and return to the forum to report their outcomes should remain consistent over time, as observed in the average of the past six months. Such variables usually follow a normal distribution pattern.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:15 pm

The Home Office doesn't start to assess the British Citizenship application until after the date of Biometric submission. As has already been advised, the decision timeline is also subject to how many applications have been submitted, and the number of Case Workers allocated to process BC applications. Both of these can obviously vary throughout the year. :idea:

Their published standards for a decision are currently 6 months.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

standrews
United Kingdom

Post by standrews » Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:28 pm

I was in the same boat 4 years ago. Repeatedly questioned and tortured myself, that why others getting approvals in matter of weeks while I never overstayed, zero warnings/convictions/penalties, PhD qualification from reputed university, high tax payer etc, sent several emails to home office departments to chase application but only got frustrated with generic reply. I eventually got approval email just before reaching 6 months and then waited months for the ceremony due to covid.

Unfortunately no one can understand the algorithm behind sorting applications and initiating checks, but one thing for sure that Home office do make random checks using external organisations and that’s why its beyond their control to often conclude within 6 months. Like for my friend, they verified his details from given referees using regular post. Obviously it took time and they don’t normally do for the rest of the applications.

I would suggest to keep calm and stay positive and try to forget about your application, I made my wife’s application in April and not following that until I hear from them.

All the best wishes.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:13 am

safdari_peyman wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:59 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:35 pm

Thank you, contorted_svy, for your quick reply. I've noticed "straightforward" and "assessed on its own merit" in various posts. However, I'm certain you'll agree that a case where the individual arrived in the UK legally, without any breaches of immigration or legal matters, not even a traffic penalty, should not be considered complicated.

Due to my job, I'm familiar with statistics, and it's evident that the number of application output reports has drastically decreased since last week. Typically, the population of people who apply and return to the forum to report their outcomes should remain consistent over time, as observed in the average of the past six months. Such variables usually follow a normal distribution pattern.
As someone familiar with statistics and wanting exact answers where better to get correct data if not from HO?
Contact them vis FOI request and see what response you get ir not.

NoUsername
Newly Registered
China

Post by NoUsername » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:36 pm

Same here. Submitted in Jan and heard nothing back. Have you had any luck yet?

safdari_peyman
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by safdari_peyman » Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:43 pm

NoUsername wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:36 pm
Same here. Submitted in Jan and heard nothing back. Have you had any luck yet?
I still haven't received any emails or updates. According to timeline reports from others, if you don't get a positive response within 2-3 months of applying, you're typically required to wait for 6 months. If there's still no response after 6 months, it suggests you should wait for at least 10 months.

It's likely that they refer applications from specific nationalities to external agencies for further checks. Unfortunately, even after 6 months, there's no way for us to explicitly understand what's happening with our applications, and the feedback they provide is often general and lacks insight, simply keeping us occupied. The important thing here is to stay strong and avoid overthinking.