ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Intent to settle: Divorce and travel ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Referee: can I use Software Engineer as referee?

Post by hashbrown » Mon May 06, 2024 1:17 pm

I'm planning to use a Software Engineer with a Bachelors degree as my referee for UK naturalization application, this is for the Professional referee.

As per this link:-
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passp ... ignatories

there is a "engineer with professional qualifications" in the list. Does this mean a Software Engineer with a Bachelors degree can be used as a referee? A Bachelors degree is a professional qualification, is it not?

I have read the FAQs in this forum, it says "...Professional in the context of acting as referee refers to people listed in a professional organisation, not their education/degree....". However "qualifications" means education/degree, so why cannot we use Software Engineers as referee?

Has anyone used a Software Engineer as referee successfully recently?

Also, what happens if they donot accept this referee, will my application get rejected or they will allow me to provide another referee?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Referee: can I use Software Engineer as referee?

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 06, 2024 2:42 pm

No - BSc is not an accepted professional qualification. Your referee must be a member of s professional body for their profession. If the referee is deemed not suitable the HO would contact you to provide another one.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Referee: can I use Software Engineer as referee?

Post by hashbrown » Mon May 06, 2024 11:48 pm

Thank you contorted_svy!

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Referees and Degree

Post by hashbrown » Tue May 21, 2024 3:50 pm

I have similar issue as #2. Donot we have to show the originals while doing biometrics?

I also have a letter from university saying that the degree was taught in English. Should I upload this?

Also, the document list is asking me for a NARIC letter which I donot have. I donot remember if I did this while applying for Tier1 / ILR.
I cannot find a scan either so I donot think I might have done this.
However at the top of the document list page it says "...upload as many documents as you possibility can....".
Will not having a NARIC letter cause problems for my application?

#3: what happens after we complete the online form? Do we just pay and wait and they will send instructions for biometrics appointment and the upload link?
Is the document upload link on a different website?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Referees and Degree

Post by contorted_svy » Tue May 21, 2024 3:53 pm

You should open your own thread and ask your questions separately from other users.

Originals won't be needed. You do need a NARIC letter if the degree wasn't taught in the UK, a letter from the university won't do, especially if you aren't sure you uploaded for a previous immigration application.

After you apply you will get a link to create an account on UKVCAS where you will be able to book an appointment and upload documents.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by hashbrown » Tue May 21, 2024 8:20 pm

Thanks for your reply contorted_svy.

I asked on this thread because I had similar queries [#2 and #3]. I will create a different thread for NARIC and other things.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:25 pm

hashbrown wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:20 pm
Thanks for your reply contorted_svy.

I asked on this thread because I had similar queries [#2 and #3]. I will create a different thread for NARIC and other things.
It is considered rude to tag onto and hijack other members topics. It also creates confusion.

I have split your query and merged with your other topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Intent to settle: Divorce and travel ?

Post by hashbrown » Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:50 pm

I'm about to apply for naturalization. I'm wondering if these two issues will cast a doubt on my "intent to settle" :-

1) Divorce:
I'm in the process of getting a divorce, this may take months or years. So my spouse will not be joining me here in UK nor will apply for naturalization.
Should I mention this in my cover letter?
Do I need to attach my divorce petition photocopy with my application?

2) Travel outside:
I plan to be outside the country for a few months after my biometrics and come back for the ceremony.
How risky it is to be outside while they are processing my application? Will this cast a doubt on my "intent to settle"?
If they need to contact me for anything, how do they generally contact? by post or email?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Intent to settle: Divorce and travel ?

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:25 am

keeping in mind the relevant part of the guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... bookmark52

1) This should not affect your future intentions as you are divorcing. You can mention it in a cover note as explanation of why your spouse is abroad.
2) You can travel after submitting your application but keep in mind that you will be asked if you are planning to be absent from the UK for longer than six months so do everything you can to avoid that or you could be seen as not intending to stay in the UK. If UKVI needs further info they'd generally email you.

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by hashbrown » Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:01 am

Thank you contorted_svy

So no need to upload any documents eg. my divorce petition? Just a mention in cover letter will do?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:08 am

hashbrown wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:01 am
Thank you contorted_svy

So no need to upload any documents eg. my divorce petition? Just a mention in cover letter will do?
Your divorce is irrelevant to a naturalisation application. Nothing needs to be mentioned or submitted about this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Document upload: Scans in black and white?

Post by hashbrown » Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:43 am

While uploading documents to the UKVCAS website, does it need to be in Black and White only? The FAQs says "scans should be in black and white". Can this be ignored? Most documents passport/BRP/Referee form are in colour.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:47 am

The requirement to be in B/W is because you have a size limit of 6MB maximum to upload them. Review the file sizes of your files and if below 6MB each you should be fine.

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by hashbrown » Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:07 pm

Thanks contorted_svy.

My file sizes are below 6MB so I will upload in colour. Should be ok?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:45 pm

hashbrown wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:07 pm
Thanks contorted_svy.

My file sizes are below 6MB so I will upload in colour. Should be ok? Yes as it is below the size limit.

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by hashbrown » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:31 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:25 am
keeping in mind the relevant part of the guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... bookmark52

1) This should not affect your future intentions as you are divorcing. You can mention it in a cover note as explanation of why your spouse is abroad.
2) You can travel after submitting your application but keep in mind that you will be asked if you are planning to be absent from the UK for longer than six months so do everything you can to avoid that or you could be seen as not intending to stay in the UK. If UKVI needs further info they'd generally email you.
I have now submitted the application and finished the biometrics.

One question from above reply: when or where will they ask me if I plan to be away for more than 6 months? So far no one (application or biometrics) has asked.

What is the consequence of being out of the country for say about 4 months? Will this put my application at risk? Will is cause problems while applying for passport?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:44 pm

hashbrown wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:31 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:25 am

I have now submitted the application and finished the biometrics.

One question from above reply: when or where will they ask me if I plan to be away for more than 6 months? So far no one (application or biometrics) has asked. Not sure I've ever seen that before either, because it's not an issue at all. You can do what you like after submitting or biometrics. If you're out too long then you miss your ceremony. Not sure the HO bother themselves with that ever.

What is the consequence of being out of the country for say about 4 months? Will this put my application at risk? Will is cause problems while applying for passport? Nope it doesn't. You don't want to miss your ceremony either.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by hashbrown » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:55 pm

Thank you Ticktack !

I certainly do not plan on missing the ceremony! I just want to stay away till ceremony time. Then plan to be in country till I get my passport then out again.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:57 pm

Guidance about future intentions can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 20the%20UK.

hashbrown
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by hashbrown » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:40 pm

Thanks contorted_svy !

This makes it clear that one cannot be outside for more than 6 months when the application is processing.

Can I take the "Principal home in the UK" section to mean that I need to have a rental property or be in a shared accomodation while the application is processing? I was planning to move out of my property completely and not have any address in UK.

Does the "..enter into, or continue in either: .... a company or association established in the UK..." mean that I have to be employed during this period?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:42 am

I don't know how exactly the case worker will interpret this. I would imagine that if you had no UK address at all and rented something abroad, or if you left your UK job and took a job abroad, that may not be looked upon favourably.