ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

afriley

Citizenship application query

Post by afriley » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:41 pm

Good day,

I arrived in the UK in 2008 on a student visa, then stayed on several student visas until Tier 2 in 2016. Received ILR in 2021.

When applying for naturalisations, what do I input as entry date (“when did you first enter the U.K.?”).

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Citizenship application query

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:22 pm

Put there the date when you came.to stay permanently (so eg if you left in 2013 and returned in 2015 put 2015).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

afriley

Post by afriley » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:16 am

I’ve lived in the UK since 2008 and all my visas were extended/applied for in-country.

So do I put 2008

Or

The first tier 2 visa…?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:34 am

Put 2008.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

afriley

Post by afriley » Tue May 14, 2024 8:39 pm

Right so I will input 2008 as that’s when I first arrived in the UK.

Presumably however I only input 5 years of absences going back from the date of application for naturalisation as that’s the period that applies to me?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:47 pm

Correct only five years back from application date.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

afriley

Post by afriley » Tue May 14, 2024 8:55 pm

Thank you. I plan to apply this month and am getting my referees to sign the passport photo forms in advance - I assume that’s also ok? It doesn’t need to be done after the application is submitted? the forms will only be dated a week or so before the application.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:01 pm

passport photo forms
You mean the "referee forms" ?

No issue - date does not have to be the same as application date.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

afriley

Post by afriley » Tue May 14, 2024 9:33 pm

That’s right, referee forms. Thanks!

Finally the dreaded patronymic… I am Russian so have two versions of my name on my Russian passport. First name and surname in the Latin alphabet and First name patronymic and surname in Cyrillic. I’ve always ignored the patronymic and it’s never caused an issue and never appeared on any UK documents/BRPs.

I assume I should do the same now when applying for naturalisation?

I know some people have had issues when subsequently getting their British passport.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:02 pm

A bit of a closed book for me ....
Suffice to say I would agree to carry on as you have so far, use the Latin name versions which will appear on your naturalisation certificate.

afriley

Post by afriley » Tue May 14, 2024 10:09 pm

Appreciate it.

Do referee forms need to be printed single sided or is double sided with their signature on the second page ok? I presume they will be scanned anyway so makes no difference?

(Sorry, massively overthinking here).

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:22 pm

Single or double sided, you will scan them anyway and originals are not required to be submitted anyway.

afriley

Post by afriley » Wed May 15, 2024 8:35 pm

Just looking at the passport application and the definition of uncancelled passports is confusing. I have multiple Russian passports that are expired and presumably cancelled as each was replaced by the next one. Most have “annulled” stamped inside. Presumably these won’t have to be sent in?

Moreover, I was adopted as an adult by my EU stepfather but did not change my name to his surname etc and don’t hold any ID on his surname. I usually sent the adoption paperwork for transparency when dealing with UKVI. I presume best not to send this to the Passport Office when applying for my first UK passport to avoid any complications? His nationality etc is irrelevant to my application.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:00 pm

afriley wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:35 pm
Just looking at the passport application and the definition of uncancelled passports is confusing. I have multiple Russian passports that are expired and presumably cancelled as each was replaced by the next one. Most have “annulled” stamped inside. Presumably these won’t have to be sent in? Correct - those are cancelled passports i.e. defaced in some way, mine have a corner cut and are rubber stamped "cancelled".

Moreover, I was adopted as an adult by my EU stepfather but did not change my name to his surname etc and don’t hold any ID on his surname. I usually sent the adoption paperwork for transparency when dealing with UKVI. I presume best not to send this to the Passport Office when applying for my first UK passport to avoid any complications? His nationality etc is irrelevant to my application. Your claim to British citizenship is the naturalisation certificate, HMPO won't delve into your history, as long as the passport requirements are met.

afriley

Post by afriley » Wed May 15, 2024 9:10 pm

Re adoption - my concern is more whether it counts as being known under a different name and thus needs to be disclosed. I’m entitled to take it as per the adoption court order but never have and have never been known under this name. So should I just omit this info for the sake of avoiding complications?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:21 pm

HMPO are concerned that British citizens may hold travel documents under different names that's why they ask for other passports you hold and compare name with all all other and the naturalisation certificate. They are not concerned whether you use or used to have other names (which is quite legal in UK law as long as they are not used for illegal purposes). I think you are worrying to much, many nationalities go through the same processes as you without much trouble.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu May 16, 2024 7:39 am

If you have never been known under that name it will be ok. This is for the passport application anyway, so it can be dealt with once you are scheduled to attend the citizenship ceremony.

afriley

Post by afriley » Thu May 30, 2024 7:50 pm

Thanks both, appreciate your voices of reason.

The citizenship application asks for previous uk visa details - I’ve had lots over the years and don’t remember some details of the older ones from 2008-2011, such as when exactly I applied (I know the years but not exact months). I do have the BRP numbers I can enter for them to identify the applications. Would this be ok you think?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu May 30, 2024 9:22 pm

All those are only "if known" - won't affect your statutory requirements. Input all the details you know and you can explain in a cover note you can't recall all details of older applications.

afriley

Post by afriley » Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:44 am

I have both a biological and an adoptive father (adult adoption). I presume for parental details on the naturalisation form they want births parents? Neither are British so their nationality is irrelevant.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:03 pm

You're not claiming nationality via them so it is irrelevant.

afriley

Post by afriley » Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:58 pm

Just a process question -

Am I right that I need to pay and submit the application and then will be sent a separate link to upload all the supporting documents? Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:14 pm

afriley wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:58 pm
Just a process question -

Am I right that I need to pay and submit the application and then will be sent a separate link to upload all the supporting documents? Thanks.
You submit and pay and will be directed to the UKCVAS portal, which is where you upload documents and book your biometric appointment
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

afriley

Post by afriley » Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:32 pm

Thanks!

For “tax office reference number” - my university payslip has an “employer PAYE reference number” compromising of numbers and letters - something like 000/X12345. Is this what I need to enter?

There’s also a very long 15-number “HMRC payroll ID”.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:35 pm

afriley wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:32 pm
Thanks!

For “tax office reference number” - my university payslip has an “employer PAYE reference number” compromising of numbers and letters - something like 000/X12345. Is this what I need to enter?

There’s also a very long 15-number “HMRC payroll ID”.
Yes, this number is also on your P60 or you can ask HR. It is not the payroll ID.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.