ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

descent and associations guidelines

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

htwhtg
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

descent and associations guidelines

Post by htwhtg » Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:14 pm

My application was submitted in March 2021 and it is still pending. In January 2024 I saw in Parliamentary Questions the following information:

"The granting of Irish citizenship through naturalisation is governed by the provisions of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, as amended. All applications for a certificate of naturalisation are processed and assessed individually in accordance with the provisions of the Act. A determination on whether an applicant satisfies the statutory criteria for naturalisation can only be made after an application is received. Section 15 of the Act sets out the statutory conditions that must be fulfilled for a certificate of naturalisation to be granted. Section 16(1)(a) of the Act gives the Minister discretion to waive the statutory conditions in certain circumstances, including where the applicant is of Irish descent or Irish associations (related through blood, affinity or adoption to a person who is or is entitled to be an Irish citizen). Applications based on affinity are not recorded in the manner requested.

Officials in my Department are in the process of finalising guidelines, which will provide clarity to both applicants and decision-makers on what factors may be considered by the Minister when deciding whether to waive such naturalisation conditions under section 16(1)(a) of the Act.

These new guidelines are being developed in the interests of fair and transparent procedures and attendant decision making. Details of the new guidelines will be made publicly available once they have been finalised."

Does anybody know the status of these new guidelines? Have they been published yet?

hattie9
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: descent and associations guidelines

Post by hattie9 » Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:38 pm

I had seen something similar in the Oreachtas back in May 2023 -- I would be very curious to read these new guidelines. Have you had a decision or any advancement of your application, after 3+ years?