ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application - strange questions from UK Passport Office:

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RedMoon

British passport application - strange questions from UK Passport Office:

Post by RedMoon » Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:19 pm

Hi all,

I am a naturalised British citizen who has 6 -yo child born outside the UK. Both myself, my girlfriend (who is EU citizen and not British) and the child has been living in the UK (they since 2020). Both her (and consequently our child?) has pre-settled status in the UK. Child entered/enters the UK on his EU passport.

Recently I applied online for the first UK passport for him to the UK Passport Office as he qualifies for automatic citizenship by descent from a Brit who obtained his citizenship by means other than descent (i.e. by my naturalisation). As part of the application I have sent to UK P.O. his current EU passport he used to enter the UK.

Strange questions I received from the Passport Office:

1) Send the passport they used to get to the place where they live

Send the passport or travel document they used to travel to the country that is now their home.

2) Explain why xxxxxx is not applying for a passport in their country of birth

We need a written explanation to say why they are not applying for a passport in their country of birth.

Now my questions:

ad 1) What does P.O. mean? Which further passport they want on top of the one sent to them already?

ad 2) What are valid answers/reasons to this question?

Big thanks for any help!

vinny

Re: British passport application - strange questions from UK Passport Office:

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:18 pm

I’m guessing they are wondering why your child did not apply for a British passport before travelling to the UK?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:37 pm

Was the child born in the EU country that s/he's a national of?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:28 pm

yes, why?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:43 am

Who knows? Why not? For statistical purposes? To improve their out-of-country applications?

I suspect that any reasons you give may be valid.

Moreover, as their Government’s website had advised it, I doubt that applying in the UK is a ground for refusing a British child.

If you don’t mind me asking, just out of curiosity, what were your reasons?

Note: If your child was born after you had naturalised, then child is automatically British and can never have have pre-settled status. Else, a non-British child’s pre-settled status is not automatic and must be applied for.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:30 pm

bump bump regarding question 1) and 2) :)

PS: vinny, I will answer some aspects of your post when I'm not on the go

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:46 pm

1) explain that child has EU passport as they are citizen of that country.
2) it is up to you to explain why you not apply in country of birth, we cannot answer that for you as you know your own circumstances.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:40 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:46 pm
1) explain that child has EU passport as they are citizen of that country.
2) it is up to you to explain why you not apply in country of birth, we cannot answer that for you as you know your own circumstances.
Big thanks for reply!

Ad 1) problem is not so much that child has an EU passport and it needs to be explained but that they seem to be asking for (not about) their passport I already submitted. -hence my question

Ad 2) Are children born outside the UK yet living in the UK now still supposed to have their passport applied for from the British embassy of their original country of birth?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:25 pm

Your child should not have come to the UK without a valid British passport applied for in country of birth - that is what they are querying. Essentially your child was able to travel to the UK as a tourist on their EU passport but without a valid UK travel document. Awkward situation as child is British by descent.

Re question 1, I can only suggest to explain again that you already submitted that.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:38 pm

My child "was on" a pre-settled status after his mother (who are both EU citizens). They both had right to stay in the UK so this is not an issue.

Is passport application likely to be granted by the UK P.O.? or are they more likely to reject it and refer us to application through British embassy in the country of birth?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:49 pm

Your son is British by descent, therefore EUSS wouldn't apply. Did you apply for his settled status? It is not a status that a child inherits at birth. What makes you think your child has settled status?

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:53 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:49 pm
Your son is British by descent, therefore EUSS wouldn't apply. Did you apply for his settled status? It is not a status that a child inherits at birth. What makes you think your child has settled status?
Pre-settled status (his mother applied for it without telling me), and got the pre-settled number both for herself and him. My son is British by descent but because he didn't have a British passport before that he got registered "under" her as having pre-settled status.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:30 am

RedMoon wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:38 pm
Is passport application likely to be granted by the UK P.O.?
Likely, subject to required evidence for a child who was born overseas.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:17 am

RedMoon wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:53 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:49 pm
Pre-settled status (his mother applied for it without telling me), and got the pre-settled number both for herself and him. My son is British by descent but because he didn't have a British passport before that he got registered "under" her as having pre-settled status.
Technically, your partner should have declared that son is British, therefore he isn't eligible for pre-settled status. I guess you will need to explain this.