ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Regaining stamp 4 after it's been expired for two years

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Regaining stamp 4 after it's been expired for two years

Post by avro1959 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:40 am

Folks, I've tried searching the forum for an answer to this but wasn't able to find relevant results.

Short story for context: I'm Canadian and my spouse is Irish, we flew into DUB late 2019 with our marriage cert and declared our intent to stay; we hit up Burgh Quay and I was issued a 3-year IRP (stamp 4). Went back to Canada to wrap things up but after some unexpected medical issues + a pandemic, we were unable to complete our move to Ireland. Around 2021 we moved to Belfast and have lived there since. My stamp 4 IRP expired in 2022 and I naively didn't think to inform INIS that we left the country. Now we're looking to move to the republic and I'm trying to figure out my next steps.

Question: has anyone been in a similar situation with a long-expired stamp 4 IRP (based on Irish spouse)? Was there a way to renew the IRP after expiry or is the best approach to re-do a "landing" at DUB airport with our marriage cert and try to get a new IRP at Burgh Quay?

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Regaining stamp 4 after it's been expired for two years

Post by Angel99 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:55 am

avro1959 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:40 am
Folks, I've tried searching the forum for an answer to this but wasn't able to find relevant results.

Short story for context: I'm Canadian and my spouse is Irish, we flew into DUB late 2019 with our marriage cert and declared our intent to stay; we hit up Burgh Quay and I was issued a 3-year IRP (stamp 4). Went back to Canada to wrap things up but after some unexpected medical issues + a pandemic, we were unable to complete our move to Ireland. Around 2021 we moved to Belfast and have lived there since. My stamp 4 IRP expired in 2022 and I naively didn't think to inform INIS that we left the country. Now we're looking to move to the republic and I'm trying to figure out my next steps.

Question: has anyone been in a similar situation with a long-expired stamp 4 IRP (based on Irish spouse)? Was there a way to renew the IRP after expiry or is the best approach to re-do a "landing" at DUB airport with our marriage cert and try to get a new IRP at Burgh Quay?
Hi,

You can just cross from NI to Ireland via car or train and apply for Stamp 4 again at the Garda Immigration office or Burgh Quay. You don't need to fly to Dublin airport. Just show them your residency in NI.

After 1 year of living in Ireland you can apply for Irish citizenship since your stay in NI with your Irish spouse counts towards Irish naturalisation for Irish spouses.

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Post by avro1959 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:33 am

Angel99 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:55 am
You can just cross from NI to Ireland via car or train and apply for Stamp 4 again at the Garda Immigration office or Burgh Quay. You don't need to fly to Dublin airport. Just show them your residency in NI.
Thank you for the reply Angel99. I was under the impression that I cannot apply for an IRP while on a tourist/temporary visitor permission. Wouldn't I be entering as a temporary visitor if I crossed the (unmanned) border from NI to ROI? I may try this route if there's no harm in doing so (although I'm not entirely knowledgeable about the consequences of such stuff).
Angel99 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:55 am
After 1 year of living in Ireland you can apply for Irish citizenship since your stay in NI with your Irish spouse counts towards Irish naturalisation for Irish spouses.
I'm already eligible to apply for Irish citizenship based on the spousal route and 3 years of legal residence in NI - I'll be doing up the application asap. We're just trying to move back to ROI in the short-term, hence trying to figure out the IRP situation.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:36 am

You can apply for stamp 4 on the route i suggested.

You are already on the Island of Ireland (IE + NI), UK and Ireland also have CTA + you have visa waiver. Go to your nearest town Garda Immigration office at the border after entering Ireland and get an entry stamp from them. Then apply for the Stamp 4 at your place of residence.

The nearest towns enroute to the Republic are;

Omeath
Dundalk
Letterkenny
Cavan
Monaghan

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:31 am

Angel99 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:36 am
UK and Ireland also have CTA
The Common Travel Area only exists for Irish and British citizens; it is irrelevant to anyone else. Checks are rare but it can’t be legally used by anyone other than Irish or British and it’s best not to suggest it is available to others. Citizens with visa waiver rights crossing by road are relying on their visa waiver rights, not the CTA, even if it feels the same. It won’t make much difference to the OP, but it can confuse other readers without visa waiver rights.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:44 am

Vadrar wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:31 am
Angel99 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:36 am
UK and Ireland also have CTA
The Common Travel Area only exists for Irish and British citizens; it is irrelevant to anyone else. Checks are rare but it can’t be legally used by anyone other than Irish or British and it’s best not to suggest it is available to others. Citizens with visa waiver rights crossing by road are relying on their visa waiver rights, not the CTA, even if it feels the same. It won’t make much difference to the OP, but it can confuse other readers without visa waiver rights.
Hi,

You are aware EU and Irish spouses can cross from UK to Ireland and apply for Stamp 4EUFam and Stamp 4(via
Irish National Unit, Immigration Service Delivery) if the Irish spouse doesn't have Irish visa even if they are not visa waiver nationals.

That's why I mentioned CTA in my advise.

The post is about spouses of Irish citizens.