ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I going to mess up my naturalisation by applying for an S1 form?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

roseytosey
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Have I made a mistake on proving residency?

Post by roseytosey » Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:27 pm

Hello - if someone might have any insight, I'd really appreciate it. Have been having 24 nervous hours after re-reading through some other posts, wondering if I've made a fatal error on my naturalisation application.

Background
New Zealand national
5 years Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) + 14 month ILR
Director of my own limited company

Applied for naturalisation on 21 February 2024

Documents provided:
  • All previous passports
  • ILR card
  • Referees
  • Plane ticket + boarding card showing return flight from Ireland in Jan as there is no immigration gate on returning from Ireland
  • P60s for 2018 - 2023
  • Statement of account from HMRC stating my taxes were up to date
Reading what I had to provide, I did not notice that one might have to provide more evidence of residency during their period they have applied for. The problem is, since several years ago New Zealand nationals (along with many other Commonwealth countries) do not get passport stamps. We are allowed to go through the e-gates.

In my final year before applying for naturalisation, I went to New Zealand to see family for two months. So being a national, I didn't get a stamp at either end. However, I went through the e-gates at UK immigration on my return.

Concern
I am worried I have made a mistake because I applied in February so I didn't have a P60 for the final year closing Apr 2024. I read that other people provided payslips for the months of the year that they did not have a P60 for. I didn't do this. As I had read that I had to provide passports, and I had just got ILR over one year ago, I thought this satisfied the requirement to prove residency.

I have not heard from Immigration requesting any further docs yet.

Questions
1. Is anyone able to shed light if I have might have made a fatal mistake or if they can check my presence in the UK through the e-gate records / HMRC records?

2. I know no-one can say with 100% certainty, but is there a chance they would ask me for the missing documents or simply reject my application? :|

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Have I made a mistake on proving residency?

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:33 pm

I would suggest you send them the tax return for the year you sent the SA302 for, and payslips from May 2023 to Feb 2024, and a short note to explain the mistake. They would probably contact you to ask for further evidence if needed, but you can anticipate them for peace of mind.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

roseytosey
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by roseytosey » Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:14 pm

Thank you very much. I will do so.

Do you know where I can find an email to send these documents to? The gov website only directs to a phone number. Apart from that I only have 'no reply' and 'notification' email addresses.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:19 am

All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

roseytosey
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by roseytosey » Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:40 pm

Thank you so much! Hoping for the best.

roseytosey
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Am I going to mess up my naturalisation by applying for an S1 form?

Post by roseytosey » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:56 am

Hello,

I have lived in the UK 9 years by the time I applied for my naturalisation on 21 February 2024. The UK absolutely is my home and I own a home that I live in which I submitted details of in my application. I have a UK company which I'm sole director of and have run for 9 years.

I am waiting on my result which has passed the 3 month mark so I fear that I made need to prepare myself that it will take the full 6 months - or if I'm unlucky - get tangled in bureacracy.

My problem
If I receive my naturalisation, I had been planning to go overseas to practice Spanish for one year so I can become very fluent. I would go to several countries for up to one year. So, I would remain a tax resident in the UK during that time, even though I would be out of the country for one year.

However, to go to Spain with the digital nomad visa (which I'd like to apply for in Sep), I need to apply for an "S1 form" to confirm I will be paying national insurance in the UK. When I apply for the form to HMRC, I need to state I will be away for one year. This is not because I will be in Spain for a whole year but because I will be coming and going from Spain within the space of a year.

My concern
The S1 form takes up to 2 months to process (all going well). To meet my deadline of applying in Sep, I need to retrieve this form to start translations and apostilles. However, while I am still waiting on my naturalisation, I am concerned if I apply for this S1 form that it might be marked against my records because the S1 needs my national insurance number.

I am worried that if the HO sees this S1 application, it might decline my naturalisation application because it believes I am not going to make the UK my home as I am planning to be out of the UK for up to one year.

Question
Do any moderators have any insight into whether I could be jeopardising my naturalisation application if I apply for this S1 form while my naturalisation is being processed?

I could delay applying for the S1 but I will need backup plans as I have already committed to tenants in my house while I take my time away to learn Spanish so I just want to figure out the best way to proceed.

Thank you very much if anyone can give insight!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Am I going to mess up my naturalisation by applying for an S1 form?

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:16 am

I would suggest you apply for the Spain visa after you obtain citizenship and your British passport - it could be seen as you not intending to live in the UK permanently. You have waited long enough to risk jeopardising it at this stage. I am assuming you applied under Section 6(1).

roseytosey
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by roseytosey » Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:40 am

Thank you for your feedback. Yes I applied under Section 6(1) (and have sent the proof I mistakenly left out that you answered in my other query).

If I messed up this application I’d be in a pickle because if I still went travelling, then I’d have to wait several years to get my travel dates down again to apply again. So, best not to put myself in that position. I’ll wait before applying for the S1 from HMRC.

I’ll make plans for alternative accommodation in the UK while I’m waiting for everything and expect delays (my indefinite leave took 10 months stuck in the system, final visa before that took 5 months due to Covid. No dodgy issues just seem to have bad luck).

roseytosey
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by roseytosey » Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:26 am

@contorted_svy - Unbelievable!!! Literally 5 min ago an email came from the council to book my citizenship ceremony. It came through! So I expect my worry about the payslips was not warranted.

Thank you so much for your guidance and assurance. I will update my timeframe for other people's information once I have all the information.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:39 am

Congratulations! You can attend the ceremony and get a British passport - all your travel plans can safely go ahead once you have your certificate.