ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Worried for my sons pre settled status

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dexplay
Newly Registered
Denmark

Worried for my sons pre settled status

Post by Dexplay » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:22 am

Hello I am British my Son is Danish - he came to live with me in the UK in 2019 due to quite severe mental illness. He was granted Pre settled status in February 2020 - fast forward to January 2023 he made a choice he wanted to go back to Denmark to live a while with his mother (he has autism and schizophrenia) he was not sure how long he wanted to be away from the UK. I closed down his DWP payments in that month as he was out of the Country - he did keep flying back until april 2023 for a few days each month - as he had to have blood tests monthly for specific medication he takes.

Anyway April 2023 he became unwell again and has been in hospital in Denmark right up until today. He now wishes to return to the UK with me which I am starting to arrange with medical team to transfer his treatment back to the UK it will take some weeks but by End of July he will be living with me again in the UK.

But I am worried as he has been out of the UK for more than 6 months - and his pre settled status ends in Feb 2025 - I know he cant apply for settled status - but im worried he would not be allowed to reside here with me after feb 2025. I am not quite sure what to do. He can not sort out his own affairs because of his illness so I have to do it all for him. So will the automatic extension of 2 years pre settled status be applied in Feb or will it just be cancelled ? sorry for the long post - but im really concerned about this. I cant get him British citizenship because he was born in Denmark and me and his mother were not married - which apparently is a requirment so I am relying on pre settled status to keep him here.

thank you Dino

secret.simon

Re: Worried for my sons pre settled status

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:48 am

When was he born (month/year) and how did you acquire your British citizenship?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:12 pm

Read the guidance https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... nts#above1

Absence exceeding 12 months
Under Appendix EU, your ‘continuous qualifying period’ of residence will not be broken where you have been absent for a single period of up to 12 months for an ‘important reason’.

Examples of an ‘important reason’ include (but are not limited to):

pregnancy
childbirth
serious illness
study
vocational training
an overseas posting
It also includes where, as set out above, you have been absent because of coronavirus.

However, if you have been absent for an ‘important reason’ – whether because of coronavirus or for another important reason – but your absence has exceeded 12 months because coronavirus meant you were prevented from, or advised against, returning to the UK earlier, you have exceeded the absence permitted under Appendix EU.

You can still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme where you can evidence that this extended absence is because coronavirus meant you were prevented from, or advised against, returning to the UK within 12 months and for a period thereafter.

This includes (but is not limited to) where you can show you were:

ill with coronavirus
in quarantine, self-isolating or shielding in accordance with local public health guidance on coronavirus
caring for a family member affected by coronavirus
prevented from returning earlier to the UK due to travel disruption caused by coronavirus
advised by your university or employer not to return to the UK, and to continue studying or working remotely from your home country, due to coronavirus
This means that where, after an absence of 12 months for an ‘important reason’, coronavirus meant you were prevented from, or advised against, returning to the UK within 12 months, you will be treated as not having broken your continuous qualifying period of residence.

Read examples of evidence that you can provide to confirm your absence and the reason for it see.

The period of absence exceeding 12 months will not be counted towards your continuous qualifying period of residence under the EU Settlement Scheme. Your continuous qualifying period will be paused from the point your absence reached 12 months and will resume from the point you return to the UK.

Where you hold pre-settled status, and this is due to expire before you can complete the continuous qualifying period of residence required for you to be eligible for settled status, you will be able to apply for a further grant of pre-settled status.
According to the highlighted part your son will be allowed an extra extension of pre-settled status, but be mindful with future extended absences as you are only allowed one absence of more than 12 months. Also read the part above - you can document that your son has an illness and the treatment that was pursued in Denmark. It may be the case that your son's continued period of residence could potentially not close the door for him getting settled status in 2025, but you may need the help of a solicitor to secure that.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Dexplay
Newly Registered
Denmark

Post by Dexplay » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:07 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:48 am
When was he born (month/year) and how did you acquire your British citizenship?
Hi I am British by birth - mum English - my son was born 03/98 thank you

Dexplay
Newly Registered
Denmark

Post by Dexplay » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:11 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:12 pm
Read the guidance https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... nts#above1

Absence exceeding 12 months
Under Appendix EU, your ‘continuous qualifying period’ of residence will not be broken where you have been absent for a single period of up to 12 months for an ‘important reason’.

Examples of an ‘important reason’ include (but are not limited to):

pregnancy
childbirth
serious illness
study
vocational training
an overseas posting
It also includes where, as set out above, you have been absent because of coronavirus.

However, if you have been absent for an ‘important reason’ – whether because of coronavirus or for another important reason – but your absence has exceeded 12 months because coronavirus meant you were prevented from, or advised against, returning to the UK earlier, you have exceeded the absence permitted under Appendix EU.

You can still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme where you can evidence that this extended absence is because coronavirus meant you were prevented from, or advised against, returning to the UK within 12 months and for a period thereafter.

This includes (but is not limited to) where you can show you were:

ill with coronavirus
in quarantine, self-isolating or shielding in accordance with local public health guidance on coronavirus
caring for a family member affected by coronavirus
prevented from returning earlier to the UK due to travel disruption caused by coronavirus
advised by your university or employer not to return to the UK, and to continue studying or working remotely from your home country, due to coronavirus
This means that where, after an absence of 12 months for an ‘important reason’, coronavirus meant you were prevented from, or advised against, returning to the UK within 12 months, you will be treated as not having broken your continuous qualifying period of residence.

Read examples of evidence that you can provide to confirm your absence and the reason for it see.

The period of absence exceeding 12 months will not be counted towards your continuous qualifying period of residence under the EU Settlement Scheme. Your continuous qualifying period will be paused from the point your absence reached 12 months and will resume from the point you return to the UK.

Where you hold pre-settled status, and this is due to expire before you can complete the continuous qualifying period of residence required for you to be eligible for settled status, you will be able to apply for a further grant of pre-settled status.
According to the highlighted part your son will be allowed an extra extension of pre-settled status, but be mindful with future extended absences as you are only allowed one absence of more than 12 months. Also read the part above - you can document that your son has an illness and the treatment that was pursued in Denmark. It may be the case that your son's continued period of residence could potentially not close the door for him getting settled status in 2025, but you may need the help of a solicitor to secure that.

Thank you for this covid did not impact my son. It was his mental health but he has been out over a year - so by what you shared he will get an extension in Feb 2025 when his pre settled status is set to expire ? He should be returning with me in a few weeks we are just trying to arrange transfer of treatment. Would he have any issues at border control with his Danish passport ? thank you for your reply Dino

Dexplay
Newly Registered
Denmark

Post by Dexplay » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:22 pm

Hi I also read this on another website not sure if its fact

"Effective May 21, 2024, the duration of pre-settled status automatic extensions under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) has increased to five years (up from the previous two years). "

anyone any idea on this and would it apply to my Son who has been absent over 12 months from the UK
Thank you Dino

Dexplay
Newly Registered
Denmark

Post by Dexplay » Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:40 pm

HI I am confused what does continuous residency mean ?
the law now seems to be all persons who hold pre settled status get an automatic extension (dont know if its 2 or 5 years ) before expiry.

Then I read elsewhere you can be out of the UK for up to 2 years without loosing pre settled status - but can only be out of the UK for no more than 6 months out of 12 or you loose continuous residency. How does one affect the other.

I am due to fly in with my son again after his absence of around a year and half out of the UK - in early July - his pre settled status is currently stating online its active/ valid until feb 2025
is he at risk of this being cancelled before Feb 2025 because of his absence ?
do you think the automatic extension of pre settled status will apply to him ?

I am really worried because he needs continual medical treatment which he would not get if they suddenly cancel his pre settled status
any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated
thank you DIno

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:33 am

Breaking continuous residence woul impact your son's ability to obtain settled status. If he is away from the UK for more than two years he would lose settled status directly. I have linked all the relevant guidance - as your son's health is a primary concern I would advise speaking to a solicitor to plan for future absences.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.