ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name before after naturlisation and before first British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Galy2023
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Change of name before after naturlisation and before first British Passport

Post by Galy2023 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:11 am

Good morning all.

I have just received an email from Atlas to say my application for naturalisation has been successful and need to arrange a citizenship ceremony.

However, I would like to change my name before applying for my first passport.

I was wondering if I could attend ceremony, then change my name through a deed pol/driving license. And then apply for my first passport or is there any other options that you guys are aware of and more straightforward?

Thanks in advance

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Change of name before after naturlisation and before first British Passport

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:56 pm

Yes you can change your name by deed poll after you get your naturalisation certificate.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:03 pm

Note that you will need to change your name on any non-British passport before applying for a British passport in a different name.

HMPO will not issue a passport with a different name from that of any other passport that you may have.

Note that to apply for a British passport, you need to submit the originals of all your uncancelled passports, including expired passports.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Galy2023
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Galy2023 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:56 pm
Yes you can change your name by deed poll after you get your naturalisation certificate.
So I can change my name by deed poll after citizenship ceremony and apply for my first passport after?

I dont have any other passport. Only BRP which has now expired as a result of becoming a British citizen

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am

Do you not have any current passports from other countries? In that case it should be fine but make sure to explain in a cover note.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Galy2023
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Galy2023 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am
Do you not have any current passports from other countries? In that case it should be fine but make sure to explain in a cover note.
No I dont. I have been using UK travel documents (all of which are now expired) for the past 15 years and never had any passport from my country of origin.

So just to double check.

-Attend to citizenship ceremony and receive certificate.
-Change name by deed poll
-Change name on Driving License
-Apply for first British Passport using the new name?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 pm

I would say that sounds sensible.

Davesmart9
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Change name on first passport after naturalisation?

Post by Davesmart9 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:57 pm

Hello all,

After getting my British citizenship, I am looking to get my first British passport, but I am also looking to change my name and surname by deed poll. My passport of the country I'm originally from cannot be changed using a deep poll, as that country doesn't allow for name changes. I am also aware that passport must be provided as evidence when applying for my British passport. I am wondering if I can apply for my first British passport with my new chosen name and a deed poll as evidence?

Thanks!

vinny

Re: Change name on first passport after naturalisation?

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:09 pm

They expect foreign and British passports to have the same names. Be prepare for lots of problems.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

dewdrops1420

Re: Change name on first passport after naturalisation?

Post by dewdrops1420 » Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:41 pm

Hi,

Against the advices I got from this forum, I went ahead and applied my British passport after naturalisation with my new name with proof as deed poll. But I took care to surrender my foreign passport before applying for the British passport.
I submitted the surrender certificate also as proof whilst applying for British passport.
I got my first British passport with my new name without any hassle or waste of money.

Thanks

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:41 pm

Hi,

Against the advices I got from this forum, I went ahead and applied my British passport after naturalisation with my new name with proof as deed poll. But I took care to surrender my foreign passport before applying for the British passport.
I submitted the surrender certificate also as proof whilst applying for British passport.
I got my first British passport with my new name without any hassle or waste of money.

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:24 pm

Good news! :D
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Boom1
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ukraine

Post by Boom1 » Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:29 pm

Hi all,

I am wondering, I want to change my name after naturalisation as well and get a new passport under new name. Unfortunately, I am aware of the rule for dual-citizens for changing name.

But, I am planning to lodge an application to withdraw from my Ukrainian citizenship once I get a UK citizenship certificate and attach the aknowledgement from Ukrainian government to Passport application. What chances that my passport will be approved under new name with such move? what do you think?