ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen entering the UK with EU country passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

GGtrek
Newly Registered

British Citizen entering the UK with EU country passport

Post by GGtrek » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:50 am

My son (minor child) will be visiting the UK for a short (one week) school trip in October. His British passport expired 2 years ago and I have not renewed it since he rarely visits the UK (last visit was 2019), can he enter the UK with a EU country passport (he has double citizenship) or is UK Border control going to cause problems on entry if they discover that he is a British Citizen? Should he take his expired British Passport with him?
Thank you

I tried to look for answers online and I only found this on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukvisa/comment ... im_a_dual/

I even contacted FCDO, but apart from suggesting to request a new passport they referred me to UK Visas and Immigration which can only be contacted by paying money :mrgreen:

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: British Citizen entering the UK with EU country passport

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:29 pm

GGtrek wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:50 am
My son (minor child) will be visiting the UK for a short (one week) school trip in October. His British passport expired 2 years ago and I have not renewed it since he rarely visits the UK (last visit was 2019), can he enter the UK with a EU country passport (he has double citizenship) or is UK Border control going to cause problems on entry if they discover that he is a British Citizen? Should he take his expired British Passport with him?
Thank you

I even contacted FCDO, but apart from suggesting to request a new passport they referred me to UK Visas and Immigration which can only be contacted by paying money :mrgreen:
Your son can enter the UK with his EU passport. He should have no problems at all. To give you rest of mind, he can equally hold on to his expired British P.
A British Citizen doesn't even need a passport to enter the UK. Proving citizenship is where the problem might be.
So the EU passport allows him to travel to the UK and enter the UK but the Expired British passport "if" required shows he has right of abode.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

GGtrek
Newly Registered

Re: British Citizen entering the UK with EU country passport

Post by GGtrek » Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:58 am

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:29 pm
GGtrek wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:50 am
Thank you

Your son can enter the UK with his EU passport. He should have no problems at all. To give you rest of mind, he can equally hold on to his expired British P.
A British Citizen doesn't even need a passport to enter the UK. Proving citizenship is where the problem might be.
So the EU passport allows him to travel to the UK and enter the UK but the Expired British passport "if" required shows he has right of abode.
Much appreciated, thank you.