ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

India citizenship or UK

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dsa007
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

India citizenship or UK

Post by dsa007 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:57 am

I have got ILR and I am eligible to apply for citizenship.
I am in two minds as my long term plan is to retire in India. I have two kids.

1st Option: Keep Indian citizenship and continue working with ILR
With ILR you can do everything same as citizenship. except getting easy visitor visas to other first world countries.

2nd Option: Take UK citizenship and OCI.
If I plan to move back to India, I can do most of the things in India except buying agri land and vote.
If my kids study in India, I will have to pay hefty fees in NRI quota for college and uni admissions.

also getting back Indian citizenship will be a challenge.

Please suggest as per your experience and views.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: India citizenship or UK

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:00 pm

What is more important to you? Easy visitor visas to other countries, or the possibility to have cheap education in India? How long do you have to wait until you retire? The answer to your question may be very different if your kids are starting university in a few years or 15, same with your retirement age.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.