ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IRP - Article 50 TEU (Previous Stamp 4 EUFam)

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sam2025
Newly Registered
Ireland

IRP - Article 50 TEU (Previous Stamp 4 EUFam)

Post by Sam2025 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:21 pm

Hi,
My elderly dependent parent (Non EU/EEA citizen) was previously issued with Stamp 4 EUFam. Post-brexit this was replaced by Article 50 TEU. Now, I am planning to attend an event - family event/seminar in Switzerland with my entire family (UK citizens residing in Ireland - preBrexit with Article 50 TEU IRP card).

1) As my parent is accompanying the family will they be exempt from Schengen visa requirement?

What are the possibilities to explain/get the approval for boarding the flight along with other family members without a schengen visa?

2) Applying for visa via the VFS global seems to be on waitlist for a long time so getting a visa appointment seems unlikely. It is not clear how long the waitlist is for before getting an appointment as the travel is about 5 weeks away.

Anyone with similar experience or know about Schengen exemption please?

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: IRP - Article 50 TEU (Previous Stamp 4 EUFam)

Post by Angel99 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:18 am

Hi,

Your parent has to apply for normal short stay schengen visa. Stamp 4EUFAM is not even valid for Switzerland, same applies to EU-Residence cards issued by Cyprus.

**You are no more an EU citizen and have no rights in EU. You are considered as a third national same as someone outside EU.*****
Your British family and you have visa waiver in EU for 90/180days.

Your Article 50 TEU is a normal (Residence permit). It's irrelevant outside Ireland. Unlike Residence cards issued to only EU citizen family members.

Hope this helps.

Sam2025
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Sam2025 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:04 am

Thanks a lot Angel,
Will this same visa requirement apply if we are travelling via France for example? For instance, if we book the flights to France, spend good few days there before travelling to Switzerland briefly for 4 days and then exit via France again?
I am guessing, visa will still be required but I was hoping there's an option for exemption given the provision of Article 50 TEU - retaining EU rights. But looks like the retention of EU rights only applies to the resident country but the freedom of movement no longer applies due to Ireland being a non-schengen state?
Waiting list for appointment seems to be on average 35+-40 days. I am inclining towards cancelling the whole travel even though everything is booked.
Thanks a lot,

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:40 am

You as a British citizen have visa waiver so you can enter and exit EU via any EU country. When your parent wants to do same your parent needs to make France the first entry on the visa form.

Your Parent has to make sure she applies for schengen visa and include all the destinations she will enter else they can issue her a restricted Switzerland visa valid for only Switzerland or only the country she will enter first.

***Your residence permit in Ireland is not a retaining rights in EU. It's just a formality to facilitate your stay in the EU country of residence easy.****

You have no freedom of movement. You are a third country national (Non EU). You can just enjoy your visa waiver to EU for 90/180days just as other non required non EU visa nationals. (Japan,Brazil,Mauritius, Serbia)

If Ireland was part of Schengen area then the residence permit will be valid in all Schengen countries for 90/180days. This will only be useful for your parent who is not a British citizen yet.

No Irish Residence permit allows free travel without a visa to EU except 'EU-Residence card'

Sam2025
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Sam2025 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:30 am

Thanks for the clarifications Angel.

" When your parent wants to do same your parent needs to make France the first entry on the visa form." - By this you mean that if the non-EU family member (my parent as in my case), require a visa to travel to all EU states irrespective of Switzerland?

For instance, if they are only travelling to France accompanied by UK family member from Ireland and then return back from France along with the family, that will require a schengen visa also?

I have understood your point regarding the no-EU status for UK citizen despite holding the Article 50 TEU, but I am clarifying the above point so it is explicitly clear that EU is totally ruled out without a visa for the non-EU family member.

Also, by EU Residence card you mean the IRP card issued to non-EU family of the current EU citizens who are resident in Ireland?

Thanks you very much @Angel99!!

P.S: I was reading your other replies and was hoping you'd reply...thanks again for all the insights and clarifications.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:10 pm

Non-EU family member of third country nationals( including families of British citizens) will need a schengen visa to enter the Schengen zone. However if your parent is only going to 1 particular schengen country (If only France), they can be issued a restricted schengen visa valid for only France. If you plan to pass through multiple Schengen countries you need to specify it in the destinations on the visa form so that your parent is issued the standardised schengen visa

***Your presence as a British citizen to your non British family is of no use to enjoy EU citizens and their family members privileges.

EU-residence card in Ireland is IRP- Stamp 4 EUfam.
(Residence card of a family member of a Union Citizen)

Sam2025
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Sam2025 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:18 am

Thanks @Angel99,
It is perfectly clear!

Very thankful for your time clarifying all the points.

Best wishes,