ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP lost, get a new one or apply for eVisa directly?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

su632
Newly Registered
India

BRP lost, get a new one or apply for eVisa directly?

Post by su632 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:50 am

Hi,

I lost my wallet and thus my BRP yesterday. I have reported it with UKVI and they have cancelled it and asked me to apply for a new one.

As I have ILR, the timeline for the replacement BRP is upto 6 months, which is ridiculous.

Also, I have also gotten the invite to apply for the eVisa? Can I directly apply for it, if I have my BRP number with me? Or do I need to have an valid BRP for that.

Also, if I apply for a new one and wait for it, does it mean I cannot travel in the meantime outside UK? 6 months is too long to be tied down here.

Thanks.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: BRP lost, get a new one or apply for eVisa directly?

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:55 am

su632 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:50 am
Hi,

I lost my wallet and thus my BRP yesterday. I have reported it with UKVI and they have cancelled it and asked me to apply for a new one.

As I have ILR, the timeline for the replacement BRP is upto 6 months, which is ridiculous. It's just how it's always worked. Don't forget that these are very important government documents. It has to go through thorough vetting before another can be issued. That's why it should be kept safe at all times.

Also, I have also gotten the invite to apply for the eVisa? Can I directly apply for it, if I have my BRP number with me?Yes you can. Or do I need to have an valid BRP for that.

Also, if I apply for a new one and wait for it, does it mean I cannot travel in the meantime outside UK? 6 months is too long to be tied down here. You cannot leave the UK until you have a document that can allow you back in the country. Either BRP or Evisa. If you leave, be prepared to be out there for a long time.

Thanks.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

zxyzhgp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zxyzhgp » Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:26 am

when applying evisa, you need to use your phone to scan your BRP chip. So yes , you need a valid BRP card

if you have a passport with a good smart chip, you can get evisa with that (no BRP card needed)

su632
Newly Registered
India

Post by su632 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:00 pm

No my passport doesn't have a chip. My only option is to shell out another £500 and go for a priority appointment or else stay in UK for 6 months.

su632
Newly Registered
India

Post by su632 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:06 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:55 am
su632 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:50 am
Hi,

As I have ILR, the timeline for the replacement BRP is upto 6 months, which is ridiculous. It's just how it's always worked. Don't forget that these are very important government documents. It has to go through thorough vetting before another can be issued. That's why it should be kept safe at all times. Well it doesn't seem to be true, if I give them £1000 they will finish their thorough vetting in a day

Also, I have also gotten the invite to apply for the eVisa? Can I directly apply for it, if I have my BRP number with me?Yes you can. Or do I need to have an valid BRP for that.

Also, if I apply for a new one and wait for it, does it mean I cannot travel in the meantime outside UK? 6 months is too long to be tied down here. You cannot leave the UK until you have a document that can allow you back in the country. Either BRP or Evisa. If you leave, be prepared to be out there for a long time.

Thanks.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:52 pm

A good alternative for a photo ID in the UK is a provisional driving licence https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisio ... ce#content No need to have a car or even to know how to drive to apply.

As immigrants, we're NOT required to have our BRPs with us all the time - nobody will stop us and ask to show a BRP card.

I understand this is the first impression some new immigrants have but it's always advisable to have it securely stored in a safe place together with other important documents. That's in the spirit of avoiding losing it and the complications it entails.

zxyzhgp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zxyzhgp » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:09 pm

su632 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:00 pm
No my passport doesn't have a chip. My only option is to shell out another £500 and go for a priority appointment or else stay in UK for 6 months.
BTW, airlines may not accept evisa and require you to show BRP when traveling back to the UK

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:26 pm

su632 wrote:
There is no priority service for brp replacements as far as I am aware. It is not an immigration application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

su632
Newly Registered
India

Post by su632 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:26 pm
su632 wrote:
There is no priority service for brp replacements as far as I am aware. It is not an immigration application.
I was told in UKVIs email that I can apply in person using a priority service here: https://www.gov.uk/faster-decision-visa-settlement

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:58 pm

The link clearly says it is for visa or ilr applications, ie immigration applications, and lists the eliginle categories.

A brp replacements is not one of those.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

su632
Newly Registered
India

Post by su632 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:49 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:58 pm
The link clearly says it is for visa or ilr applications, ie immigration applications, and lists the eliginle categories.

A brp replacements is not one of those.
"This link opened when I clicked 'Premium Service Centre' in the email when I reported that my Brp is lost. This was the email text:

Thank you for reporting that your biometric residence permit (BRP) has been lost or stolen. We will now cancel your BRP and it can’t be reactivated.

If you find your BRP, you must return it to the address below as soon as possible after you return to the UK

Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB

What to do next

You must apply for a replacement BRP within 3 months. If you don’t you may:

receive a fine of up to £1,000
have your permission to stay in the UK taken away
Applications for a replacement BRPs take the following times to consider:

up to eight weeks of receipt if you hold limited leave to enter or remain
up to six months of receipt if you hold indefinite leave to enter or remain
If you require a replacement BRP urgently, you can book an appointment to apply in person at a Premium Service Centre."

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:51 pm

That is old information.

There is no Premium Service Centre anymore, not for many years and there is no in person service.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

su632
Newly Registered
India

Post by su632 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:08 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:51 pm
That is old information.

There is no Premium Service Centre anymore, not for many years and there is no in person service.

Thats strange then that Home office would give me this info in the email yesterday?

Anyway, I applied for the replacement card and now I am taken to UKVCAS to book an in-person Biometric appointment. There seems to be no premium option but the standard ones are quite expensive as well.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:58 pm

Ukcvas is for biometrics enrollmwnt only and if no free appointments available, unfortunately you have to pay. The type of appointment you make doesn't determine the speed of processing your applicationby UKVI. UKCVAS is a third party agency, not ukvi staff etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

su632
Newly Registered
India

Post by su632 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:28 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:58 pm
Ukcvas is for biometrics enrollmwnt only and if no free appointments available, unfortunately you have to pay. The type of appointment you make doesn't determine the speed of processing your applicationby UKVI. UKCVAS is a third party agency, not ukvi staff etc.
Luckily I found my wallet and thus the BRP. As I was invited for the evisa conversion, I immediately applied for it and received the eVisa. Perhaps my BRP had not been deactivated yet or maybe one can apply for eVisa conversion even with an expired BRP.

New question: Do I need to still apply for a replacement BRP now that I have received an eVisa?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:21 am

su632 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:28 pm
CR001 wrote:
Luckily I found my wallet and thus the BRP. As I was invited for the evisa conversion, I immediately applied for it and received the eVisa. Perhaps my BRP had not been deactivated yet or maybe one can apply for eVisa conversion even with an expired BRP.

New question: Do I need to still apply for a replacement BRP now that I have received an eVisa?
If you find your BRP, you must return it to the address below as soon as possible after you return to the UK

Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB

su632
Newly Registered
India

Post by su632 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:29 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:21 am
su632 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Ukcvas is for biometrics enrollmwnt only and if no free appointments available, unfortunately you have to pay. The type of appointment you make doesn't determine the speed of processing your application by UKVI. UKCVAS is a third party agency, not ukvi staff etc.

Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB
So my question is if someone has lost their BRP after having applied and received their eVisa, should they still apply for a replacement BRP card or not?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:34 am

su632 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:29 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:21 am
su632 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Ukcvas is for biometrics enrollmwnt only and if no free appointments available, unfortunately you have to pay. The type of appointment you make doesn't determine the speed of processing your application by UKVI. UKCVAS is a third party agency, not ukvi staff etc.

Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB
So my question is if someone has lost their BRP after having applied and received their eVisa, should they still apply for a replacement BRP card or not?
The E-visa concept is relatively new. Safer to still have a BRP with you as well. But the E-visa as a stand alone should be fine.
The choice is yours to make. Brp's take about 6 months to be processed and that takes you to the end of it's validity. Not sure it's worth the stress or money anymore.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

chuey603
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by chuey603 » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:57 am

My BRP has expired but I managed to get an eVisa so I can view my settled status online. I contacted UKVI to ask if I still needed to apply for a physical BRP as I needed to travel and this was their response:

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 16 June 2024 regarding creating a UKVI account.

We understand that you have created a UKVI account with your expired BRP and would like to know if you need a replacement BRP.

You will need to apply for a replacement BRP online at gov.uk to use until the end of 2024. All BRPs issued to customers who hold immigration leave beyond 2024, including renewals, are due to expire on 31 December 2024 and will be replaced by eVisas.

In the future you’ll be able to use an eVisa to travel to the UK – you will not need to carry a physical document, except for your current passport, which must be registered to your UKVI account.

Until the end of 2024 you will need to continue to carry your physical document when you travel, if you have one. 

Given that IRL BRP renewals are low priority and it could take 6 months, I don't anticipate receiving my new card anytime soon :(

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:45 am

As a non-visa national, you already travelled last month with an expired BRP and your Canadian passport with no issues.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=348225

The same should apply for any travel abroad between now and 31-12-2024. I personally would not apply for any BRP card renewal at this stage.

However the situation might not be that straightforward for a visa national.