ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is there anyway for a child to get british nationality?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kihiq2024
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Is it possible to get citizenship for stateless child?

Post by kihiq2024 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:49 pm

Hi,

My son has born in India and living with me for last 7 years. First 4 years in ICT and last 2.5 years in FLR. He is eligible for ILR in next 2.5 years. His clock cycle has been reset after getting FLR. So he needs to wait for another 2.5 years.

Meanwhile Indian government is not allowing to renew my child passport(Even though his mother is still Indian) as one of the parent became British. Now he has been forced to become stateless.

Is there any chance for him to get British passport on any grounds?

TIA

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Is it possible to get citizenship for stateless child?

Post by Ticktack » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:12 pm

kihiq2024 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:49 pm
Hi,

My son has born in India and living with me for last 7 years. First 4 years in ICT and last 2.5 years in FLR. He is eligible for ILR in next 2.5 years. His clock cycle has been reset after getting FLR. So he needs to wait for another 2.5 years.

Meanwhile Indian government is not allowing to renew my child passport(Even though his mother is still Indian) as one of the parent became British. Now he has been forced to become stateless.

TIA
Your child isn't stateless. If your government refuses to issue him a travel document (that's what it is), which remains the property of all governments, that doesn't make him stateless.

Even the British government can refuse to issue Brits passports.

So short answer is I don't see any grounds for British passport for a "non-British citizen/person".

People seem to forget that this is a country and not a bonanza organisation that's meant to fix everyone's problem.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:24 pm

As stated above - non-issuance of a passport does not necessarily equals statelessness. My home country's government may not issue a passport if you owe money to the government, but it doesn't mean my citizenship is taken away.

You'd have to work this out with the Indian government, eg see post2151038.html#p2151038

If absolutely unable to do so and it's stated explicitly in writing, you can attempt to get your child a travel document, which is not the same as a British passport.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-home-office-travel-document
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

kihiq2024
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Is there anyway for a child to get british nationality?

Post by kihiq2024 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:15 pm

Hi,

My child's Indian citizenship has ceased due to one of the parents getting a British passport. Is there anyway for a child to get British nationality, even if it is discretionary?

Child history
Born in India: July 2014
Date of First Entry into UK: April 2015; Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer; Dependant Visa
Left for India with Mom for Second Pregnancy, August 2016; Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer; Dependant Visa
Date of Second Entry into UK: April 2017; Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer; Dependent Visa; 222-day gap
Tier 2 ICT dependent to FLR dependent, as father got ILR: June 2021
FLR renewal: Dec 2023
Eligible for ILR: June 2026
The above history applied for his mother as well

Father history:
Received ILR: Apr 2021 Via 10-year Route: Private Residence
Received British Citizenship: June 2022 Via Naturalisation

As the child lost his citizenship recently, is he eligible to apply for British citizenship on any grounds, as most of his life has been spent with me and he has been outside of the UK for only 400 days in the last 9 years?

Thanks.

vinny

Re: Is there anyway for a child to get british nationality?

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:58 pm

If mother has Indian citizenship, then I doubt the British Government will agree that the child is stateless.

They may also expect both mother and child to have ILR, etc., before granting British citizenship under Section 3(1).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sivaquery
United Kingdom

Re: Is there anyway for a child to get british nationality?

Post by Sivaquery » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:33 am

kihiq2024 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:15 pm
Hi,

My child's Indian citizenship has ceased due to one of the parents getting a British passport. Is there anyway for a child to get British nationality, even if it is discretionary?

Child history
Born in India: July 2014
Date of First Entry into UK: April 2015; Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer; Dependant Visa
Left for India with Mom for Second Pregnancy, August 2016; Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer; Dependant Visa
Date of Second Entry into UK: April 2017; Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer; Dependent Visa; 222-day gap
Tier 2 ICT dependent to FLR dependent, as father got ILR: June 2021
FLR renewal: Dec 2023
Eligible for ILR: June 2026
The above history applied for his mother as well

Father history:
Received ILR: Apr 2021 Via 10-year Route: Private Residence
Received British Citizenship: June 2022 Via Naturalisation

As the child lost his citizenship recently, is he eligible to apply for British citizenship on any grounds, as most of his life has been spent with me and he has been outside of the UK for only 400 days in the last 9 years?

Thanks.
Hi kihiq2024

Have you tried to apply for a British citizenship for your child on any grounds?

Thanks
siva

Sivaquery
United Kingdom

Post by Sivaquery » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:46 am

kihiq2024 wrote:
Hi,

TIA
Hi kihiq2024 ,

Is it possible to get a Certificate of Statelessness from the Indian Govt and then try using that to get a British Citizenship for our children?

Thanks
Siva

kihiq2024
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kihiq2024 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:41 pm

Sivaquery wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:46 am
kihiq2024 wrote:
Hi,

TIA
Hi kihiq2024 ,

Is it possible to get a Certificate of Statelessness from the Indian Govt and then try using that to get a British Citizenship for our children?

Thanks
Siva
Hi Siva,

Thanks for your message. I have tried to ask the consulate for the same but they have denied to provide that.